Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
280CE 1984
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my a/c works okay, but how do I know if it has been converted..?
My 280CE 1984 - I bought it a year ago, everything is about as genuine as can be, and it is in excellent original condition.
How can I tell if it is 12 or 134a, I am not sure I understand what the difference between these two gases is, why have they changed it..?
I would like to know if it can be improved, I think perhaps it could always be a bit cooler..!
Martyn.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
R12 was used up until the early 90s; R134 from there afterward. Most believe the R12 cools better, and they're probably right. It was changed because the government thought it would be better for the environment - it didn't change anything - in other words, it was changed for political reasons, not scientific ones.

R12 systems will have different fittings on the high and low side ports and have different oils in the system for lubrication. You cannot mix the two. You can remove the R12 from a system and replace it with R134 after a system flush, but it's not the best way to do it (you can do the reverse too).

To know if you have an R12 or an R134 system, you can (1) look at the ports (the R134 ports are larger than the R12 ports), but that takes some know-how, (2) you can see if the ports have adapters on them, which means you have an R12 system that someone converted the fittings and then put R134 in, or (3) you can go to a garage and they can put a "sniffer" on the system and tell you if it's R134 or R12.

The w123 AC system is not the greatest especially compared to today's vehicles, but, that said, my w123's AC system works very well and is very cold. My advice? If it works, and it's cold enough, leave it alone. If you want to simply know if you're an R12 or an R134 system, ask a good garage to tell you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts