Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Ml 320
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i know if the Harmonic Balancer is not working properly ?
any signs ?
thanks...
ML 320 - 1998

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
When the rubber starts to protrude from the front of the pulley or it appears to wobble while the engine is running.

See this thread for photos and other facts http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=63512&highlight=harmonic+balancer+photo [;)]

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
jloreto99 - 4/26/2005 5:21 PM

How do i know if the Harmonic Balancer is not working properly ?
any signs ?
thanks...
ML 320 - 1998
Yours should be covered by the Service Campaign. Just had my '98 done.

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
I had my done in March of 2004 on my ML 430 at 100,600 miles. The dealer wanted $1,600 for it [xx(]. My mechanic done it for $143.00. I would say that the loud clattering noise (sounds like your engine is flying apart! Scared the S*&% out of me) coming from the engine is a good sign you have a problem! If it goes at the right time, it will tear up hell and half of Georgia[:0]. Raise hell until they replace it under the "service campaign" (not recall). I intend to do just that to get my money back for mine and to see if they will replace my damaged oil pan and timing cover that we filled with JB Weld. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2002 ML55
624 Posts
It will sound like a clicking mess, seriously its really obvious. I called my SA the first time I heard it and as soon as he heard the clicking he said yup Harmonic balancer.

It will be obivious.

·
Registered
2002 ML55
624 Posts
It will sound like a clicking mess, seriously its really obvious. I called my SA the first time I heard it and as soon as he heard the clicking he said yup Harmonic balancer.

It will be obivious.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unless you only do short journeys I would not wait for it to come apart.

I had one come apart on a BMW R69S motorcycle and it did some damage to the front engine cover.

Besides, it stops functioning as it should (cancelling out vibration) before it comes apart; it is much better to get it done on your time scale, and at a place of your choosing, than waiting till there is expensive collateral damage.

Presumably the dealers are going to do it free.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unless you only do short journeys I would not wait for it to come apart.

I had one come apart on a BMW R69S motorcycle (a long time ago) and it did some damage to the front engine cover.

Besides, it stops functioning as it should (cancelling out vibration) before it comes apart; it is much better to get it done on your

time scale, and at a place of your choosing, than waiting till there is expensive collateral damage.

Presumably the dealers are going to do it free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts