Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys How do I jump start a clk 320 from the engine as boot is jammed and cannot get to the battery if anyone can help that would save me big time. phil

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Sweet Jesus. About the dumbest thing I can think of doing is sticking the business ends of a battery charger to electrical bits under the hood if I'm not 100% sure that's what I'm supposed to do. Phil--call your nearest dealership and ask the question you asked us or call Mercedes road side service and let them figure it out. There is no limit to the parts you'll fry if you aren't sure what you're doing and you make a mistake. I don't know the CLK, and while you might think there would be an under-hood place to jump the engine, don't count on it. It's probably safer and less expensive (potentially) to get the trunk unjammed and jump off the battery.

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,308 Posts
remote jumper

I know we are years and models apart but on my 560SL with a trunk-mounted battery there is a clearly marked remote positive terminal under a cover on the passenger side inner fender. I cannot believe MB would not provide a similar facility on your car. The negative side of your jumper cable would go to any good ground point on engine or chassis.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
The last time I looked at my CLK the battery was under the hood, at the bulkhead, hiding underneath an air filter.

What made you think it was in the boot?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,038 Posts
I know we are years and models apart but on my 560SL with a trunk-mounted battery there is a clearly marked remote positive terminal under a cover on the passenger side inner fender. I cannot believe MB would not provide a similar facility on your car. The negative side of your jumper cable would go to any good ground point on engine or chassis.
I have similar under the hood terminal on W210, but it doesn't exist on newer W211.
I think there is good reason Mercedes canceled those jumping terminals ;)
Suggestion about calling FREE MB roadside assistance is probably the best one if you are in US, but might not be in England.
Other wise you need to open the trunk. Hooking up SMALL jumper to the fuse box rail will activate the car locks.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Sweet Jesus. About the dumbest thing I can think of doing is sticking the business ends of a battery charger to electrical bits under the hood if I'm not 100% sure that's what I'm supposed to do.
No argument there. In fact, I've always believed people who have a hard time distinguishing between their ass and their elbow should stay away from high-line vehicles in general, let alone get under the hoods thereof.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
The 208series CLKs have the battery in the trunk.
My bad... I just checked, and indeed you are right. On the W209 CLK it is in the right place - up front.

OK, in that case for the W208 there will be a positive terminal under a red plastic cover in the engine bay somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 99 clk320. I believe w 208. My battery is in the trunk. This is all I know bout this..... Removing battery or jump starting can cause lots of damage if done wrong. or if done right will result in having to reset lots of stuff in car. aka seek professional assistance if you value your car(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts