Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Once again I have began pondering something.

I ordered the Mercedes-Benz style illuminating Door sills a few days ago, And I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the standard door sills, and where to connect the cables from the new door Sill. I haven't seen it yet, and It looks quite simple to remove the door sills, But I'm worried about possibly breaking anything. Are there any tutorials out there?

If not, then I will probably take some detailed pictures, And then make a tutorial for this :D

Thanks for any opinions people, happy driving! :)

P.S ever since joining this site, I have learnt more about "how to" than I have in 10 years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized the title has nothing to do with this, any way to change this? moderator gods?

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,512 Posts
You remove the door sill trim by prying it up. There are steel barbed clips captured in the plastic molding and the clips grip the door opening pinchweld.
Start at one end using a stiff putty knife or something similar to lift the outboard corner of the sill plate while pulling up on the inboard part at the carpeting at the same time. Go carefully becasue it is easy to break off a corner of the sill plate.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You remove the door sill trim by prying it up. There are steel barbed clips captured in the plastic molding and the clips grip the door opening pinchweld.
Start at one end using a stiff putty knife or something similar to lift the outboard corner of the sill plate while pulling up on the inboard part at the carpeting at the same time. Go carefully becasue it is easy to break off a corner of the sill plate.
Thanks a heap, that was very helpful. What about the cable? That one has made me slightly wonder.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,540 Posts
You'll have to route the cable manually...Probably under the carpet piece that goes up. Be careful with the ones you remove....The age makes them brittle. Don't pick a corner. Try to get under as much as possible.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll have to route the cable manually...Probably under the carpet piece that goes up. Be careful with the ones you remove....The age makes them brittle. Don't pick a corner. Try to get under as much as possible.
Hmm I see, maybe I should make a diagram or something. So I lift up the carpets, and I should be able to see cables. So in this instance, what am i plugging it into?
I'm quite sure there isnt a cable waiting to be plugged into. If I do this, does that mean it will light up permanently? Or is it with the lights on? I thought they would illuminate when the door opens. :confused:

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
In the US at least there are no lighted door sills. You will be wiring from scratch. It may come with instructions maybe?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the US at least there are no lighted door sills. You will be wiring from scratch. It may come with instructions maybe?
I doubt it comes with instructions. Still, may as well hope. I suppose I may have to route the wire from scratch, I'll give it a try. Hopefully it isn't as hard as I have begun thinking. If it is, then I'll just go to my mechanic. Honestly, electrical work is my biggest weakness. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just make the parralel connection with the doors lights...
And how do I do that? Sorry if I'm being a pain, but does it involved cutting wires and such?
I'll probably get the full picture when i take a proper look under :eek:

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,512 Posts
When yo pull up the original sill plates you'll see.... nothing. Well, nothing but painted metal and the edge of the carpeting.
To hook up the wires for your lighted sill plates you'll have to improvise.
You'll probably have to pull off the kick panels at the dash underside to get at the wiring for the door jamb switches. Proceed with caution because those panels are easy to break if you try to muscle them off. IIRC you slide them aft to disengage a tab that fits in a body slot.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Great idea about using the step light. Route it back through the door then splice in the new wiring to it. Someone who is better with electronics though may know if this can be done or if you need a relay or anything as well...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I would have to splice them, Using the from the door jamb. I'm no electrician, in fact I have no experience whatsoever in splicing, so what is this act of splicing the cables you speak of?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great idea about using the step light. Route it back through the door then splice in the new wiring to it. Someone who is better with electronics though may know if this can be done or if you need a relay or anything as well...
Yeah, I'm feeling that too. But I wonder, why would they sell the kit as "ready to fit" if it probably doesn't even come with instructions for all of this :rolleyes:

I hope I won't need a relay switch, how hard can it be to splice it to the existing cables to light up when the door is opened?
I mean, I can't exactly splice it to the seatbelt sensor (thingy) can I?

·
Registered
213 Posts
On the driver side under the plasctic behind the park brake(the plastic part where you can rest youre left foot while driving) you have distribution board,find the connection to the driver door light and connect it to it.You can try to connect wires on the door light conector or you can pill a wires and connect it like that,also you can buy a connector that is made for connecting without cutting the wires.From that you can do connections for both doors...
Sorry for my English...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good news, the part has come! Except they have sent the wrong part. They sent the sedan door sills, even though I ordered the Coupe. He says its my fault and I'll have to pay for shipping. I also realise its not from Norway as it said, but from Taiwan. He said this is due to my location.
Also noticed the shoddy build quality, I sliced my finger on the corner!

Another thing is that it was damaged, two large dints, which were not due to postage it was on the door sill that was in between the four and the packaging was not damaged.
I Haven't received a reply from him yet, but I'm hoping to just send it back and get the coupe door sills.

Does anyone want pictures of the product before I send it back? Generally speaking, Its a pretty good product but it could do with a good sanding down of the corners.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GEE Thanks very much! Looks like there is one now. Thats a big help :)

One quick question though, the courtesy light in the door?? Where's that? There's only a reflector on my door. And some sort of dark looking clear plastic in the door also. But that doesn't light up...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh thanks, but whats that dark plastic on the door then? I could've mistaken it as a light.

That tutorial isn't very helpful though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts