Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first change of spark plugs on an '06 C230 and am wondering how do I disconnect the wiring harness leads from the coil pack? I see the connector, but don't know what you pinch, pry, whatever to disconnect? I'm notorious for breaking those little tabs (on other applications)!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
It's a fairly standard locking tab on the connector. The bad news is that you will probably break at least one as the heat causes them to become very brittle. They will still hold in place without the tab, or, you can choose to replace the wires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Discovered the answer myself. You simply press on the end of the connector (there is a ribbed indentation) and GENTLY pull on the surrounding plastic of the connector. You do NOT want to pull by the wires.

·
18,845 Posts
The problem isn't gently pulling on the connector - the problem is the release tab; It's molded on in one place and after years of engine heat, it gets brittle. Pressing on it usually just causes it to snap right off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is correct. I wasn't implying that pulling gently on something other than the wires was the cure for the brittleness, but rather that ones instinct is to grab the pigtail and pull on it. That's a recipe for disastor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Broken locking tabs on wire connector to coil

It's a fairly standard locking tab on the connector. The bad news is that you will probably break at least one as the heat causes them to become very brittle. They will still hold in place without the tab, or, you can choose to replace the wires.
Rodney,
While changing out spark plugs on my 02 C240 I recently broke three of the wire tabs due to their brittleness, as you indicated might happen. Do you know if the connectors can be replaced - i.e., disconnect the connector from the wires and install with a new one? If so, is there a part number?

·
Registered
11 Posts
most of my tabs are broken at this point on my '01 with 185K, fortunately the rubber grommet that surrounds the wire end holds the harness quite well in the coil pack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, they appear to be holding, but just wanted to get that added piece of double security by replacing them. Spoke to the dealer today over the phone and he indicated they might be part number, 2035453028, but he did not have any in stock until the end of the week. When they arrive I will do a visual to ensure that's what I need.

·
18,845 Posts
Yes, that is the part. You will have to remove the pins from the old connector and sna them into the new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts