Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Members.
I drive a 1990 300 E, great condition, love the car but for one thing, that being the windshield. Iv'e only had the car for six months or so and when i first went out for a drive it was raining and couldn't believe the greasy looking streaks the blade made. So bought a brand new MB Wiper blade and replaced the screen cleaning tank with a top MB fluid cleaner. Still to this day whilst driving in the rain i get like a fogging of the glass, and visibility is bad especially at night with oncomming headlamps, which just turns the vision to a blur. Iv'e tried cleaning the glass with vinegar and other cleaners, but nothing works.
The glass has pitted over the years and wondered if the screen needed a professional polish. Can anyone relate to this, as it is difficult to explain what i mean unless you have the same problem.
Thanks.
Mike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi mickey1

I have a similar issue too.

I bought a glass polishing paste (can't remember the brand) sometime ago.
I did remember that last night driving through Glasgow.
Since it does not apply itself to the windscreen I'll clearly have to be a little bit more proactive and apply it myself!

Saludos
Fernandez

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Fernandez.
Go On, Give it a go and tell me if it works, you know, that stuff, whatever it's called.
Or at least run to your tool shed and get the name of the stuff.
Saludos.
Mike.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have had this problem before and it turned out to be inexpertly applied [by the PO] Rain-x...vinegar, windex, etc. won't cut it off and the result is that foggy blurring; especially w/ oncoming headlights or overhead street lights. I found that the only way to get it off was w/ commercially available wax and grease remover. It is commonly used as a final prep before paint in body shops. Two cleanings w/ that solved the Rain-x build up problem...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Termite.
What you described are exactly the problems i'm having.
Them commercial products you mention, have you any idea, or do you know any brand names.
Or are they only available through the Body Paint Shop Restorers.
Any products you know of would be greatly appreciated.
Mike.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The wax and grease removers are typically alcohol. If you want something stronger, use lacquer thinner. This should clean the window good enough before polish.

Polishing is done with an abrasive powder, typically cerium oxide. For light polishing it can be done by hand. For more aggressive cleaning use the felt buffer included in some kits. The buffer is mounted on a drill.

Once that is done, then you apply the windshield wax (Rain-X).

Clean the wiper blade with alcohol, and now you have a superior windshield cleaning system ready for the worst.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kestas.
Thanks for the advice. I think i've heard of that Rain-X stuff but wasn't sure how and when to use it, from what you are saying is that i need to strip the screen with an abrasion first to remove all the grime, i will try thinners, but could you please tell me, is there a product name that uses Cerium Oxide that polishes the glass, Or do you actually ask for Cerium Oxide from say a Chemist or Manufacturer.
Thanks.
Mike.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I got my kit - polishing compound and felt pad - from the JC Whitney catalog.

One way to tell if you need to polish your windshield is to make a mental note of the stain pattern on the outside of the window. It's most noticable on a wet night. If the stain pattern does not go away with glass cleaner, then the glass is chemically etched and it needs to be polished.

Think of all the wiper blades that are needlessly replaced because the windshield needed polishing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If it's Rain-X

Guys, if it's Rain-X, then alcohol is the solvent of choice - it's the majority content of the Rain-X bottle.

Scares me to hear people thinking of grinding their glass to remove Rain-X.

After new Rain-X application, wash with water to remove haze. Then apply something like Armor-All to the wiper blade, and of course remove all excess.

I have enjoyed Rain-X for over 10 years without the problems described here.

bt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that Curlytom, Il'l check that web-site out.
And thanks for the input already given, i thought it was just me having this problem.
Mike.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
All this talk about Rain-x and special treatment of wiper blades; what's wrong with everyday car wax on the windshield? I've been doing this for 35 years and have had superior water flow off the windshield. In fact, sometimes I don't use the wipers because the rain, at speed, just flows off the windshield.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had good luck with Rain-X overall. However, if you get distracted (stupid) and let it setup too long, it will go off hazy. Ended up hand buffing for a long time with a various chemicals. Alcohol would be my first choice. Lacquer thinner is a solvent that may dis-color even soften plastic parts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi mickey1

I've been away on holidays abroad and on my return I checked the product I bought but haven't tried as yet.
It is called Screen Scrub and is made by british company Comma Oils.

Have you tried any other products? If so, did they work?

Saludos
Fernandez

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Replace the windscreen. They're relatively cheap ($100 or so). They get pitted and there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Fernandez.
Iv'e not had much luck with some of the products tried, more of a temporary fix. I'll try that Sreen Scrub if i can find it, but other than that i might do as Alexnatt suggests and replace it.
The car is worthy of it.
Thanks for getting back though.
Mike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
WINDSCREEN FOR £60.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WOW STOP THE BUS DUDES/DUDETTES dinny bother trying to clean yir windy.Do what a did ...a have a 1989 300e thats done 340000mls the windscreen was s**t a night or in bright sun light ,,,a spent ages trying everything but all a did was waste time and cash....What you want to do is get a glass cutter ,,,drive to auto windscreens ,,stop round the corner ,,,,call your insurance and tell them your windscreen is cracked and you need it fixed (only for fully comp insurance a think);:crybaby2: they will tell you to go and get it fixed :rolleyes:take the glass cutter and score the bottom corner of the window from side to side about 50mm in to make a SMALL triangle in the corner:eek:take your trainer shoe and give it a sharp wack and the glass will crack:thumbsup:goto auto windscreens give them your insurance and £60 and you get a brand spanking new windscreen:bowdown:When a got mine a could'nt belive my eyes AND it even had the blue stip along the top as did the standard one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey bigslim, maybe in Scotland you have to commit insurance fraud to get a new windshield but, here in the states you need only to show it is a hazard to your safety. i.e. pitted, scratched ect., what ever makes your driving unsafe.

Most likely, your agent will not even look at it, just direct you to a glass shop.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
just fixed mine couldn't see on a wet night, tried everything

new wiper twice
white vinegar
engine degreacer
t-cut
Autogleam glass cleaneer 2 off

The product that worked, half a bowl of Glenfedic Wisky (neat) and a sponge. Cleaned a washed down the screen twice and hey presto no more haze brilliant phew I was about to get the screen changed

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
30 Participants
Manju1411
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing