Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SE Metallic Navy Blue
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small coolant leak coming from what appears to be the monovalve assembly or heater control valve. (Hard to get to). A mechanic said I might need a new assembly and gave me a 450.00 quote. I have recently applied the mono valve repair kit and that is not the problem.

Before I start taking things apart and find out if it is only a leaky connection or hose, can anyone offer their experience. ? Is this within the realm of DIY?

Thanks.

380SE 95k miles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go and rent a psi coolant tester from an autoparts store.

As to this being a diy project.......that depends on your mechanical skills. Do you change your own oil? What do you have for tools and a place to work?

Find where it's leaking with the psi tester and then post back.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The Monovalves do go bad and are a repair item. You may need to replace the whole thing, Expensive, about $225.00, but you may need to do it. Or you did not do the repair properly and it's leaking from the repair?

PM me your email if you need the service manuals and I will point you to them. It's time consuming, but not 'hard' to replace and repair it.

·
Premium Member
1985 500 SEL and 1986 560 SL
73 Posts
at pick and pull the monovalve assy is about 18.00 and it will give you some experience in removing it. its a fairly easy job in my opinion requiring only a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers to move the clamps around. and you can use your new monovalve repair part in the used housing

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SE Metallic Navy Blue
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for suggestions. From what I can see, coolant appears to be collecting at connection of where hose meets monovalve and causing slow drip. Can't imagine the monovalve, which is plastic, could be broken. Am taking things apart Friday to see what's the problem.

If hose needs to be replaced, can this be done without removing the comartment divider? Thanks.

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts