Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the strut of my Merc 1990 190 2.6.

I am mechanic inclined with basic tools

a) Do I need a special tool or equipment to remove the strut,
b) It is really difficult
c) could you give me a few steps or precaution to follow
d) I only need to replace one ( Driver side). will be good idea to replace both at once.

the strut is the top rubber part, do you recommend to replace other part at the same time. i see there is like a rubber under the strut and some other part. those are cheap as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2002 C320 S
73 Posts
hey

replacing struts requires the neccesary equipment.... f.e. Strut Compressor.

This type: http://www.daytonaproducts.com/images/eca_images/lift/Strut-Compressor.jpg
or this (cheaper) type: http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/207900/207937/Products/10688893.jpg

You need enough to disassemble the Caliper, Rotor and the Lower COntroll Arm...thats alone will take lots of time if you dont have the Equipment. Especially without a Impactgun you will have a hard time opening some Bolts.

This is random Pic I found on google.
http://www.mercurymotorsport.com.au/featurecars/cgr/rear-strut.jpg

It show pretty good what parts would be neccesary to open first.

The rubber piece on top (which you can see when u open ur hood) is the so called "Stru-Mount" or "Strut-Tower". You should replace it at the same time , because in order to get the Strut, you have to diassemble the Strut Mount. Strut Mounts usually gor for less than 50bucks.

So if I was you, I'd take the Car to a Shop.

Oh and yes. I would replace two Struts at the same time (if the sturts havent been replaced in a long time) So you ride is nice and stiff at the front.

raehza

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS, YOU ARE RIGHT , I CALL A NEAR BY MECHANIC AND THEY CHARGE $ 90.00.
Thanks one more time

·
Registered
17 Posts
actually he is wrong:
you DON'T need a strut compressor, since on our cars the strut is seperate from the spring.

you DON'T need to remove the caliper, control arm, or rotor. these all tilt away, so you can slide out the strut.

the strut mounts do wear out and are easily removed when the strut is removed.

there are three lower bolts and one upper bolt holding the strut inplace.

you will need an allen wrench to hold the top of the strut from turning, while removing the upper bolt. the other bolts are metric (IE 17mm, or around there)

it doesn't take me an hour to switch out the front struts

check the suspension section of this service manual for the way to do it: http://mb.braingears.com/201_Chassis.htm

you'll need a .pdf file reader (Ie: adobe)

·
Registered
2002 C320 S
73 Posts
Hi

You might be right! I dont remember now how the Strut assembly on a w201 looks like, but If it is a seperated Strut/Spring suspension, than you dont need a Compressor. But still, I dont think its smart to do this on your own, unless you have the Time, Patience and Equipment for it...

raehza

·
Registered
190E 3.0
342 Posts
nsty911 said:
actually he is wrong:
you DON'T need a strut compressor, since on our cars the strut is seperate from the spring.

you DON'T need to remove the caliper, control arm, or rotor. these all tilt away, so you can slide out the strut.

the strut mounts do wear out and are easily removed when the strut is removed.

there are three lower bolts and one upper bolt holding the strut inplace.

you will need an allen wrench to hold the top of the strut from turning, while removing the upper bolt. the other bolts are metric (IE 17mm, or around there)

it doesn't take me an hour to switch out the front struts

QUOTE]

I'll second that. It really is that easy. Because the spring and strut are sepaerate be sure to support the lower wishbone before you undo the strut otherwise you'll be trying to catch the spring. Easy way to save $90.

·
Registered
1988 merc 190E
66 Posts
struts are an easy job even on cars where you have to compress the spring- i'd do it myself and use the 90 dollars to do other maintenance while at it. i'd say an hour- i actually have to do this to my car soon too.

·
Registered
Mercedes
413 Posts
Its an easy job! Do it yourself!! I just replaced all my springs and for that you need spring compressors (but they are only £18 from German Swedish and French). There are three bolts to undo that hold the shock absorbor to the back of the brake assembly. For two of them you will need some blue locktite when you put it back to gether. The bolt on the top in the bonnet comes undone easier by sticking a socket (i think size 22) on it to get the initial turn done. Then you need a spanner around it and an allen key in it to get it to undo. THe shock will then just come out!

Once you have replaced the rubber bit and put your new shock in, if you cant get the bolt on the top of the brake assembly to line up put a trolley jack under the suspenion arm and lift it slightly. This will also work to get the shock absorber into the hole so you can tighten its nut in the engine bay.

Good luck!

Andy

·
Registered
1997 Dinan BMW M3; 1985 190e 2.3, 2013 Jeep Wrangler
1,382 Posts
have the s

I just had mine replaced a couple weeks ago, I had them done, I wasn't going to mess with it, but I got KYB GR-2 struts and KYB gas-a-just shocks, and I am very impressed, I paid $206 shipped for all 4 from ebay.

I would suggest getting new strut mounts while you have the struts off, I got mine from ebay paid $44 plus shipping.

·
Registered
Mercedes
413 Posts
Thats a pretty good price for all of the shocks. I need to get some new mounts and shocks to complement my springs but i couldnt afford them all at once!

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts