Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Calypso Green SLK
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am contemplating keeping my 1998 Calypso Green SLK that I previously posted here asking about how much it was worth. Listening to all of you guys makes me think that I should keep it and turn it into my commuter vehicle. It now has 21,500 miles on it and I have had no problems with it except the brake light that they fixed (replaced wiring). If I commute with it I will quickly put 20k miles on it per year. How do these hold up as far as long term dependability as the miles pass 100k? How many people out there have high mileage 230SLKs and how dependable have they been? I have also read a little bit and found that I just got lucky by buying mine in 1998 as the later years are not rated as dependable...how true is this?? I know..alot of questions, but people on this site sure do know alot about my car than I do and I was just wondering what to expect in the future if I decide to turn it into my commuter.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
We are right at 40K miles without any significant issues, so I think you are good for the next year of commuting at least.:)

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Consumer reports rated the '98 recommended.

I have a 98, and feel it is reliable. However, these cars were built almost 9 years ago (mine in May of 97), so things do wear out with time. I'd say its at least as reliable as any other '98 model out there.

Some issues that have come up with others:
1. Tire wear (my Yokos seem to be doing a great job vs. previous Dunlaps)
2. MAF goes bad
3. Center console paint pealing
4. Brake light issue
5. I just replaced my AC blower motor
6. I did have to have my supercharger replaced at 46K, but very few others on the board have had that problem.
7. Some have reported leaking into the trunk, which caused a failure in the electronics located there (PSE). You should watch for this, since it rains alot in Portland (vs. Dallas!).

If the decision is cost based, it would be much cheaper to keep the SLK and fix when any issues arrive, than buying a new car.

Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
in a body / structural point of view, I think these cars are very solid, and even though they are quickly turning into an older car, they keep up with alot of the newer cars out in the market.... these cars will hold up well into the 200K+ miles.... although the key word is SERVICE!!!!!

Keep your service up to date and dont spare any expenses!!!! First of all, now that you do not have any warranty, first thing to do is find a reputable shop that you know / think will be able to do most, if not ALL work on your car. Now that the car will be used alot more, give it a FULL tune-up and replace ALL fluids...... if your car is an automatic...DO replace the fluid every 30-50K miles depending on the way you drive it. Other than that, just replace whatever brakes...you sound like the kind of person that likes to have clean / up to date cars...

as far as "old" or "boring" goes, there a great little modifications that you can do to it in order to give it that "new" car feel / look or make it evn more enjoyable to drive.... things like a pulley kit, sport springs, rims and tires....etc, are all great ways to enhance the looks and performance of your car and making you even more satisfied with it.....

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
With 98 most likely you will see:
MAF failure (250$)
Roof sensors failure (200$)

Other than that - most like the rest is just regular maintenance (oil & fluids) and wear & tear items.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
When we bought our '01 C320, it was 3 years old and had only 6K miles on it! I asked a local mechanic what the best thing would be for me to do with the car. His response: "Drive it. These cars do not like to sit in the garage."

When I bought my '79 450SL, I called a local mechanic to discuss the car's recent repairs (done by the previous owner). He told me: "I told the previous owner to drive the car regularly. He didn't listen and it cost him. Go drive the car!"

When I bought my '01 SLK320 with 67K miles, everyone said to me, "That's nothing for a Mercedes. Just drive it and enjoy it!"

Is it just me, or am I detecting a trend? :D

·
Registered
2010 C300
283 Posts
page62 said:
When we bought our '01 C320, it was 3 years old and had only 6K miles on it! I asked a local mechanic what the best thing would be for me to do with the car. His response: "Drive it. These cars do not like to sit in the garage."

When I bought my '79 450SL, I called a local mechanic to discuss the car's recent repairs (done by the previous owner). He told me: "I told the previous owner to drive the car regularly. He didn't listen and it cost him. Go drive the car!"

When I bought my '01 SLK320 with 67K miles, everyone said to me, "That's nothing for a Mercedes. Just drive it and enjoy it!"

Is it just me, or am I detecting a trend? :D
I agree with you, my 01 SLK had 63k when I got it, the mechanic at the dealer told me that these cars will go all the way up past 200K! So no worries, just enjoy the car, they were meant to be driven and not displayed:)

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
978 Posts
Quite dependable...

Based on: Dad has a 2001 SLK230, I have a 1981 300SD.

Dad's SLK: is on its second set of taillamp housings, and has had its control arm bushings replaced. Finishing up its third set of tires right now. Aside from that and a dead battery last yr, A and B services. 88K miles. So far so good. He drives 60 miles daily commute in his car.

My old Benz: If the SLKs are built like this, you'll never need to buy another car (exaggerating, but not much). 25 yrs of daily use, the last 14 months in my care. I have replaced belts, tires, and bulbs. Oh, and an AC compressor (AC inop when I bought the car). 244,000 miles.

I don't know if you can expect W126 longevity out of a R170, but based on Dad's experience, I would be perfectly comfortable commuting daily in an SLK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine slk230 1998, so far:
CEL (MAF sensor failure ~$600)
ASR (stop lamp switch failure ~$180)
Roof now working, haven't had this fixed yet...
but other than these problems...i think slk are very dependable... =)

above prices includes parts and labor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts