Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been done, I dint see it.

I have a 2001 E430. It is now about time to look into a new or newer one.

I wonder others experiences with there different year E's.

Mine now has about 180,000 on it. I got it at 25,000 in late 2001. No major repairs as yet. Blower motor and reg were under warrantee way back, a trans cooler line, MAP all under warrantee. Other "major" problems have been at about 160,000 one spring cracked and broke, turned out all were cracked, various bushings, twice drivers heated seat went out on my dime, now the navi is starting to get iffy and wont always read the cd.
Never had any major internal repairs done. And still after 8 years and 180,000 miles still runs great, still pulls very hard for the engine it has. I love the car but I am starting to notice small chips and areas that will soon start rusting and I am sure a major repair is looming. So in my search for a newer E I wondered who has had a good experience like I did with a newer one. Also I love the power of the 430 (would LOVE an AMG) but really should not for all the driving I do. Is the 350 really that "slow"? Basically any year E I should avoid or go after??

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
You could start by doing a search. Every single question you have asked has been answered at least 100 times.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
I also have a 01 E430 and love the car very much - in fact, every time I put a 4-Sale on it, it takes a couple of days for me to tear the sign down. Just don't feel like getting rid of it. Mine has nearly 90K on the ODO. During warranty period, I had issues that were taken care of. Post warranty, the only major issue that I have had was oil leak via the valve cover gasket, a problem that also inflicted my 05 ML500 (same motor). I posted that here a long while ago. Last summer, I did replace the ball joints up front. But other than that, the car has been rock solid ... and the passing power is just awesome.

Now, I have since driven newer Es and I have to admit that my 01 feels OLD compared with even a 08 or 09 E320. Go drive one and tell me if I'm mistaken! I'd say wait and get a good used 09 W211. I'd stay away from earlier W211s with the 7-spd trannys. Everyone I drove just never seemed to be able to make up its mind, including the MLs. The newer Es are so so much better - that's just my puny opinion.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Premium + Appearance
22 Posts
As an owner of an '06 E350 I would say Darkman's advice is probably good regarding the early 7 speed tranny. I had the software upgraded on mine and it got better but still doesn't feel quite right under certain circumstances. Having said that I do not have any regrets whatsover as they had the new engine and tranny but were about 5k lower than the 07's.

I would go 07-08 since the 2010 is just around the corner. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

I'd stay away from earlier W211s with the 7-spd trannys. Everyone I drove just never seemed to be able to make up its mind, including the MLs. The newer Es are so so much better - that's just my puny opinion.

·
Registered
03 ML500, 07 E350 Sport
235 Posts
Best car we've ever owned. Absolutely love it. Trying to figure how to afford an SL so I can take the E. This one's a keeper. With the shorter life cycles than the older models this one seems to have the bugs worked out. No major issues and very few minor ones. Solid. Drives like a dream. Easier to drive than the ML in terms of accelerator response. The ML is difficult to temper the beast under the hood, although I've never driven the E with a V8. Either way, don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
01 CLK 430 Cabriolet (His), 06 E320 CDI (Hers)
64 Posts
Our 320 CDI has been very solid. A few small annoyances, the light/rain sensor at the rear view had to be replaced, and the tranny connector developed the well known seep, and had the gasket swapped.

That is it thus far, and it drives like new at 54,000mi.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
2003 E500 Reliable. :eek::surrender::crybaby2:

I know your joking

Brakes every 30,000 miles
ignition key failed
Door locks failed
SBC total failure towed in
Airamatic failed collapsed suspension
Front ball joints
Ash tray lid broke when new
Memory seats won't set properly (at least for the wife it doesn't not sure I blame the car on this one)

For the $65,000 + This isn't what I call relable.

I bought a new corvette the same year lets compare. Both have 80,000 miles

Memory seat
1 oil leak on diff warranty

Yup that 's it only 1 item. Very reliable for a car I drive on the track. But the wife's E500. How do you spell LEMON! :surrender:

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
'06 e320 cdi with 62k miles on it and it runs like a top! Purchased Oct 08 (CPO) @ 48k miles. 14k miles and no major issues. The stealer gave me a grocery list of things that need to be performed on the car since they didn't see where things were done, but many of the items were done during the CPO inspection / history. Too bad I don't listen to everything everybody tells me..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts