Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320 / 1988 300SE / 1985 380SE / 1969 280SE
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently serviced my 380SE because of bursted A/T transmission hose.
However, I still wonder which hose was replaced. I checked the transmission cooling hose but appeared to be an orignial one. I checked Autohauz site to see if there are any other transmission hoses but NO. Only the cooling hose attached to the radiator seems to be related to A/T transmission.

Anyway, a mechanic from K-mart auto shop said he had to replace all the accessory belts due to oil spill by bursted transmission hose.:confused:
After 3 weeks, one of p/s belt is almost torn off as you can see in the photo though I was charged for 2 hours of labour.:mad:

He did not seem to know how to adjust tension or allign.
I am going to buy a set of belts and replace them by myself as per manual.
I will see if it takes 2 hours.

The brand he used was Gates

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
Bummer about all the headaches.

I've changed all the belts in less than 2 hours, and I'm not a particularly good DIY guy...

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,156 Posts
Yeah thats wierd, thats the only hose i know of there. Its possible you have been taken advantage of do you think?

I had a similar belt experience btw, i had my local indie replace all the belts, i was in a rush before a long journey and they were very old. After a bit of very heavy throttle, one came off and went into the others. From memory, only the PS one remained.
It s a great little garage but i discovered not worth taking my 126 there, they just dont seem to know what to do with it. Found a MB indie for this car whos perfect.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
I have recently serviced my 380SE because of bursted A/T transmission hose.
However, I still wonder which hose was replaced. I checked the transmission cooling hose but appeared to be an orignial one. I checked Autohauz site to see if there are any other transmission hoses but NO. Only the cooling hose attached to the radiator seems to be related to A/T transmission.

Anyway, a mechanic from K-mart auto shop said he had to replace all the accessory belts due to oil spill by bursted transmission hose.:confused:
After 3 weeks, one of p/s belt is almost torn off as you can see in the photo though I was charged for 2 hours of labour.:mad:

He did not seem to know how to adjust tension or allign.
I am going to buy a set of belts and replace them by myself as per manual.
I will see if it takes 2 hours.

The brand he used was Gates
Please try to find an indie mechanic who knows MB. I would never take my MB to a generic mechanic like that..precisely because of what happened to you. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I 2nd that! Find someone who knows these cars as you can have all kinds of headaches and additional problems dealing with someone who is not qualified.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
+1 on that. You pay more but have no headaches afterwards. I recently had the timing chain, tensioner and rails done and received low ball bids from various Indies. I stayed with my normal guy who was $300-$400 more but he use all MB parts and was finished when promised. I even got a loner car.

Mike

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
dude..kmart... jeez.

It looks as though you still have an old style/original AT cooler hose on your car. Just because your belts got some ATF on them is NOT a reason to change them. A spray down w/ some brake clean and they would have been FIne (if, of course that was their only issue).

I'd wager the fellow didn't spray the pulleys down and they still had fluid on them/and or her over tightened the SHit out of everything.

Get to someone who knows these cars or you'll end up broke and broken..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
I will wager he used an old short cut on the belts as he could not figure out the tensioner. Get the belt started, place pry bar on pulley with belt over the pry bar and have your buddy give the starter a tap. Belt rolled over on its side and he said "good enough"

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your great feedback

I know an excellent MB mechanic in Brisbane but unfortunately, my brother was driving the car at that time and I was told the car was spewing A/T oil from a crack in the hose and was not in a condition to drive back to my usual mechanic.

I also thought he could just spray some degreaser and wash it with water instead of replacing all the belts because that is how I do whenever cleaning the engine bay.

I was also told the cracked hose was located near the torque converter:confused:. I searched the forum and the manual but did not find any A/T hose around that area.

The place is at least 150km away from where I live and I gave my brother the photo of the current condition to talk to them.
I am very interested what the K-mart mechanic would say.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks as though you still have an old style/original AT cooler hose on your car. Just because your belts got some ATF on them is NOT a reason to change them. A spray down w/ some brake clean and they would have been FIne (if, of course that was their only issue).

I'd wager the fellow didn't spray the pulleys down and they still had fluid on them/and or her over tightened the SHit out of everything.

Get to someone who knows these cars or you'll end up broke and broken..

Jonathan
All the belts were pretty much new and p/s belts were only 2 weeks old.
What they said was it was due to oil spill on the belts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts