Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my front dash speakers were dead until I played with the fader switch. With some static noise, both speakers came back to life. As I was driving, the speakers cut out once in a while.

How could U tell if I need to replace the fader or the speakers?

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
The symptoms you describe point to the fader. One word of warning, though - the connector for the fader is also quite troublesome, and you might need to replace it. My suggestion is to replace the fader, then if the trouble continues, replace the connector. I was not able to find a part number for the connector itself, I had to get a complete harness that cost around $80 to fix my fader.

It is not likely to be the speakers - if it were the speakers, it wouldn't make a difference how the fader were set, and bumps would be unlikely to "fix" the problem.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nearly defintely fader.

The fader is a variable resistor (potentiometer), as commonly found in volume controls. When these go, they typically make no noise, then that static like described before sound returns when changing volume.

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
or...you can just get an nice looking aftermarket head unit and get rid of the fader completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts