Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've fixed my AC units on three cars now, and this week had my 560's AC flushed and recharged.

Result is it's cool, but it's not ice-cold by any stretch of the imagination. We've had some hot days in NY at the moment - 90's - so I'm not expecting to step into a fridge, but it's nowhere near as cool as you'd get in a more modern car.

Am I expecting too much, or are there ways to really get the ice-cold AC I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
You need a third option..."Sorta/Kinda". Mine does pretty well out here in the desert, still have to sort some vacuum pod issues, time has been a bit tight, and it works well enough to get me by for now.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Mine gets to about 7 degrees celcius. They both do, at idle. Which is ok. I do find it works well even with the hot temps being in the high 20's, 27 degrees. Not as hot as over there though.
It compares well to the dual zone digital climate control in the work car which is crap, on that one its ok until the weather gets to about 25 degrees, then it just doesn't cope.

However my A/C guy says Ford Mondeos routinely get about 4 degrees at the vents. Its a problem if cars get too cold, obviously, as they could start freezing the ducting/vents etc causing durability problems.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,469 Posts
30 degrees is good. The R134 system in my '87 560SEL had 54 degree air coming out with an Outside Air Temp of 107F. The propane system in my 560SEC can get into the lower 40's at similar OAT's. YMMV!!

·
Registered
1983 300 SD, 1991 420 SEL, 1979 300SD
536 Posts
getting 45 F at the vent at 90 F OAT in my SD. i converted back to R-12 though. did a complete flush

·
Registered
'89 560SEC, '90 560SEL
681 Posts
I agree with needing the third, "somewhat happy" option. Actually, the biggest issue I'm having is an electrical gremlin that results in the AC not turning on sometimes, but putting that aside, I'd describe my AC as adequate. If I get in the car late in the afternoon after it's been sitting in the sun it takes a good five minutes to really cool down if I keep moving. The air is cool, not cold, but it's enough to keep me from baking. I've got a set of gauges, and I intend to check pressures when I get a chance, and I've never cleaned out the condenser either. I'm hoping there's some more cold air in there, I could use it.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I wish I had put a thermometer in the interior to check the temp but the AC in the 560 cooled really well. When I first got my 560 back in 2005, it was previousl converted to an R12 substitute called "Freeze12". It was not blowing cool air, just "air". I could not find a single shop in the central Ohio area that would evacuate the system and even worse, a shop who even knew what "Freeze 12" was. I eventually found a place 2 hours north that evacuated and cleared the system and placed R12 like it had originally. It blew really cool air, enough to give you goosebumps, and was still blowing cold 3 years after having it filled.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
My '87 560SEL is as pure as the day it was born and will cool right down. It it has been sitting in the sun it WILL take 3-5 minutes to get cooler. Is original R-12 system and I will NOT consider changing it. Somebody has taken pretty good care of it because the AC and other systems have all worked fine since first day I had it, other than some suspenstion and other minor things.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
my 91 560 sec had a original stuff and the compressor lost its seals. I had a complete overhaul to an ac delco system with new dryer, lines and of course updated freon type. 105F outside here in Houston and my windshield still gets frozen at noon it blows so cold. Wish the vents were better positioned.

Also as a tip, when I had my headliner and sunroof slider replaced, I had them install a tech-shield radient barrier similar to what you would have on your roof decking for your house. Since there is no room for insulation, this basically keeps my car in the shade better than the factory design did (product not on the market back then in fairness to Bruno). So my interior cabin temp is about 15F cooler in the summer before I even turn on the a/c.

·
Registered
1987 300 SDL, 1978 AMC Matador Sedan, 360 V-8
132 Posts
my 91 560 sec had a original stuff and the compressor lost its seals. I had a complete overhaul to an ac delco system with new dryer, lines and of course updated freon type. 105F outside here in Houston and my windshield still gets frozen at noon it blows so cold. Wish the vents were better positioned.

Also as a tip, when I had my headliner and sunroof slider replaced, I had them install a tech-shield radient barrier similar to what you would have on your roof decking for your house. Since there is no room for insulation, this basically keeps my car in the shade better than the factory design did (product not on the market back then in fairness to Bruno). So my interior cabin temp is about 15F cooler in the summer before I even turn on the a/c.

Just curious, if I may ask, what did it cost you to get all that work done to your a/c system? Mine someone converted to R-134, and this spring I charged it and it never would get cold, I think it might have a block in it somewhere or compressor on its way out, cause a few weeks later it all leaked out. Also someone disabled the automatic funtion of the a/c and wired the compressor to a toggle switch, after more looking into it, its obvious there is a a reason the circuit wouldn't come on on its own, I know there are some safeguards in the system...anyways, was thinking of having my system done and was trying to get a ballpark of what it would cost to have it gone through and overhauled. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
I had new fan motor installed inside, compressor, dryer lines valves comPlete new system new fuel lines and some other piddly stuff done it was 2200

·
Registered
1974 450 SEL Champagne Beige Metallic(Sold); 1986 560 SEL Champagne Metallic
181 Posts
If you are running any refrigerant other than true R-12 or R-290 (propane), then do not expect your system to perform very well. The size of the tubing, the area of the coils (condenser and evaporator), the expansion device (Valve or orifice), the pumping capacity of the compressor, the oil are ALL designed to the characteristics of a particular specific refrigerant. When the OEMs first started using R-134a, they continued to use A/C components designed for R-12 in order to deplete stock and save money on re-design. But the consumers quickly discovered that those "simple" conversions just did not cut it on a hot day. My 1986 560SEL will make you shiver within 5 minutes on a 110°F day, but my 2006 Dodge Ram would have to be on the freeway for 20 minutes before it got cold. Stick to the original design! Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just completed a 600 mile road trip down to NC and actually once on the road the air con performed magnificently - too cold at times actually. I'll take back what I said before. Sitting in traffic though and things are not so good.

Great tip with the heat reflective material BTW

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
I definitely think the radiant barrier is a must if you need to do a headliner rr. Placing the roof under shade with a sunroof is a must, and is a space saver too. So no chance of bunging up the moving parts.

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
I don't know if it applies to AC systems, but when I replaced my radiator on the engine cooling system it seems to be working better.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,469 Posts
I just completed a 600 mile road trip down to NC and actually once on the road the air con performed magnificently - too cold at times actually. I'll take back what I said before. Sitting in traffic though and things are not so good.

Great tip with the heat reflective material BTW
Had the same problem on my SEC and SEL. On the SEC, a new viscous fan clutch ($63 on Ebay) helped a lot.

On the SEL, a set of dual electric fans replacing the engine fan (along with a bigger alternator) fixed it. I sat in traffic in a Las Vegas summer where the Outside Air Temperature was reading 122F (!) and the engine didn't overheat and the AC kept us cool.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
The 420's R12 system is awesome. mid-high 40s when it was 100F and humid. At idle and speed.

The 190E's ES-12A system is great at speed, shitty at idle. At speed I get high 30s. At idle I get 60s. The system needs an over haul to fix that I think. Other more pressing issues with the car

The 300D's R134A retrofit seems to be pretty cool. The damn aux fans seem to come on randomly though. Like on initial start up after sitting all night! But that car wont be going anywhere until my parts arrive from Mercedes. (No upshifting :( )

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
Just curious, if I may ask, what did it cost you to get all that work done to your a/c system? Mine someone converted to R-134, and this spring I charged it and it never would get cold, I think it might have a block in it somewhere or compressor on its way out, cause a few weeks later it all leaked out. Also someone disabled the automatic funtion of the a/c and wired the compressor to a toggle switch, after more looking into it, its obvious there is a a reason the circuit wouldn't come on on its own, I know there are some safeguards in the system...anyways, was thinking of having my system done and was trying to get a ballpark of what it would cost to have it gone through and overhauled. Thanks!
I so ended up pulling my dash 3 months after the new system was installed to replace vac pods so my ac would blow out of my dash vents. Thought I should update the post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts