Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one used W202 at the used car dealer shop and he told me it is a C280 with 2.8 engine but C36 int. when i check the vin it show that it is a C36!

However the engine number is different between the russian vin check and the government regist. doc. So how can i tell if it is a 2.8 or a 3.6?

The car got all the C36 options included sport seat/ two tone steering wheel.....
however, the amg rims are missing, and the front brake disc seems smaller! (my friend told me the C36 brakes disc are very expensive so it is a hot item at the used car market)

the engine just look like other C36/C280 (i got couple to compare with), i try to see from the top right hand corner and see those computer are look like C36( C36 has like 3 slots while C280 has only 2 slots)

My question is
1) Is it easy to change the 3.6 engine back to 2.8?
2) is the dash board is competable? now it has the AMG 280KMH dash
3) Can i tell by look of the engine?
4) Where can i locate the engine number? can the engine number tell me it is a 280 or 3.6? both engine number start with 104 220 xxxxx

The condition of the car looks just so so, but i think it is kinda interesting to find out what kind of car it is.... a C36 with a 2.8 engine? what kind of people on earth will do this mod?

Also when i check the vin, the dealer is company car.... anyway know what it is?

thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I understand the C36 engines started out with a 2.8 block so I don't think it will be easy to differentiate the two motors. Thr 3.6 has a different intake crossover pipe that has 3.6 molded in. This pipe is esily swapped for the C280 variety so this wouldn't discount the motor as a 3.6L. The C36 also needed 17" wheels to clear the calipers so idf the car has smaller than 17" rims the brakes are likey not the C36 versions. The front calipers are the fixed type while the C280 had a floating caliper. I would test drive a few C280's and then compare the "C36". Ther should be a night and day difference in power. Also many C36's sound diesel like at idle (clatter).

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car is from a used car dealer lot and it is not easy to test drive the car unless he think i am a potential buyer....a very high potential buyer!

so i guess there's no easy way to check the engine.....
thx again for your suggestion!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The easiest way to tell is to get into a 2.8 litre car and put your foot down to feel how it pulls. Then get into this unknown car and do the same. If the unknown car pulls the same way, then you know it is a 2.8. If you feel the extra 70-odd hp from the unknown car, then you've got your 3.6. It should be easy to feel the difference 70 hp makes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The coil cover plate on the top of a c36 extends to the front belt cover where the 2.8 stops about three to four inches back, having a space between the front cover and the coil cover

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
on the hood pad on the bottom passenger side corner should have a fairly large plastic piece with AMG on it and the vin and engine number and specs and crap. And yes you could find out simply by listening to the motor. C36s sound like diesels. Check the exhaust and the spare tire should also be a monoblock. look for any parts starting with HWA too. It is possible the previous owner drove on a blown head gasket its definitely not a mod or on purpose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts