Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 BMW 528i
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the talk around here about the new G-Class makes me wonder. Why on earth would Mercedes-Benz release ANOTHER M class variant in a slightly larger size? Do they not owe anything to the tradition of the Longest running MB model ever? Why not redesign the G-Class from the ground up and make it look like oh I dont know a TRUCK!!?? The Range Rover looks a thousand times more attractive than the new G spy pics. Why not go the route of even more boxy? Sharper edges, however more sloping front and rear (still retaining flat glass), new xenon lights, revides interior w/ rugged yet elegant appointments, keep dimensions the same for the most part, and please no unitbody construction! Why wont mercedes do this? I think the g-class spy pics are fakes. Simply decoys to distract us from the stunning new G they are working on.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Jamison - 3/3/2005 11:03 PM
I think the g-class spy pics are fakes. Simply decoys to distract us from the stunning new G they are working on.
That's wishfull thinking ... the new G is going to be hideous no matter what. I really wish the G continued to look the way it presently does, maybe even with a Bi-Turbo V12 !! But we all know that wont be happening. [xx(]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I feel your pain my friend. I'm afraid that the spy pictures are real and Mercedes Benz is making a dire mistake.

Mercedes, however, is putting their foot down and enforcing the "out with the old, in with the new" cliche in regard to a new G-class.

I'm reposting a link I think you might have missed.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=212952

I would gladly welcome the new G-class replacement IF Mercedes still offered the W463 or W461 G-class to the public alongside the new G. Those who like and want a G-class replacement can gladly take the X164 while those of us who want a real vehicle, we'll stick to the W461 Worker or a W463.

Maybe it is wishful thinking...

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
well mb is out to make money. 98% of the people that go and drive a $80,000.00 G also go and drive a $80,000.00 rover. Then they buy the rover.. after driving mine as much as we do when not in the shop i to wish i had gotten the rover. You see there are not to many people out there that wheel a 02+G. I would bet money that 92% or more have never left the road. I mean the tires suck, the wheels scratch, the running boards are very low. When you step into the 80K price range money is not usually an object anymore. $80K for a G that will out wheel a rover, you buy the rover, But $120K for H1 wagon that in theory is the best off roader out there you buy the hummer...

Guess the best way to put it is. The G is almost a rover that goes better than a H1, but fits in drive up atms, and is quite...

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
[:0] Man that's nice ... I bet those turbos wouldnt like being dunked under water after some hard work though. Thanks for the link !! I completely forgot that Brabus made them.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Brentg500... what you describe is much like what mitsubishi has done with the montero... there is the montero sport, which is the older style SUV, and there is now the new Montero, which is all independent suspension. Same basic model line, but two totally different vehicles. Why quite making something that still makes money?

Erik

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
BrentG500 - 3/4/2005 12:42 AM

I feel your pain my friend. I'm afraid that the spy pictures are real and Mercedes Benz is making a dire mistake.

Mercedes, however, is putting their foot down and enforcing the "out with the old, in with the new" cliche in regard to a new G-class.

I'm reposting a link I think you might have missed.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=212952

Brent,
That beach picture is hilarious- I had to send it to my better half. I was with Jamison- thinking that they will release something much better than an M on steroids (no offense to MLB). That autocar article is good- the new specs are a bit wierd- unless I'm reading it wrong it mentions the G350 will have an almost 20% reduction in HP versus the current G320.

m

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
ewalberg - 3/4/2005 12:18 PM

Same basic model line, but two totally different vehicles. Why quit making something that still makes money?

Erik
I couldn't agree with you anymore! You're absolutely correct! As far as I'm concerned, given the option between the Montero and Montero Sport, I'd pick the Montero Sport. Now if I was given the option of a W461 (or W463) vs. the X164, I'd choose the W461 (or W463).

I'd welcome the new Benz addition (the X164) and certainly admire it's new owners, but I doubt I would spend my money on the X164. Let's face it, if I want a minivan, I'll get a Honda or a Toyota. The W463 has no competition and wins without a fight.

NewBuyer, I'm glad you liked that Beach picture. It was taken from MB product literature a few years back. The first time I saw the picture, I laughed. Now, however, taking the G to the beach seems so natural and practical, the picture actually makes sense.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
NewBuyer - 3/4/2005 3:30 PM

the new specs are a bit wierd- unless I'm reading it wrong it mentions the G350 will have an almost 20% reduction in HP versus the current G320.
I read in an article from Mercedes Benz Japan website that the new X164 will use more diesel engines (with turbos) than gasoline. These are the new (not all choices are mentioned) engine choices:

four-valve-per-cylinder 168bhp 3.5-litre V6

three-valve-per-cylinder 302bhp 5.0-litre V8 petrols

a new 224bhp 3.0-litre V6

310bhp 4.0-litre V8 common-rail turbodiesels with particulate filters.

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
BrentG500 - 3/5/2005 2:24 AM

NewBuyer, I'm glad you liked that Beach picture. It was taken from MB product literature a few years back. The first time I saw the picture, I laughed. Now, however, taking the G to the beach seems so natural and practical, the picture actually makes sense.
Thats hilarious - my wife couldn't believe it (not only did it look like my truck, I think she could imagine me taking it on a romantic outing (but between my newborn child and legal woes I'll be about the same age as the actors in the photo by the time I can relax.)

She was curious (and it's a good question) where do you live that you can drive on the beach? I've seen some good potential spots in Northern Cal/Southern Oregon....

m

·
Registered
slk350 on 9/29/04
114 Posts
Yes, I too am upset about dropping the current G model, I was seriously considering it in 1-2 yrs.

As for the beach driving, I believe you can still do that down in Daytona, Florida. And I do know you used to be able to out at the east end of LI,NY. At Smith point beach park. Years ago you were able to drive out on the beach with any 4x4 and camp out overnight on the beach. You were required to bring some special essentials. It was very popular,But with the constant beach erosion the beach actually got to small.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts