Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I want to upgrade the audio of the (US)Audio 20 stock stereo in my SLK350 and was wondering what options I have? I know Steve at mlBenz can replace the HU but I don't care about having a Navi or even the comand HU all I am looking for is better sound but still having my phone and iPod integrated. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since I am not getting any responses I thought I would elaborate a little more. I want to keep the Audio20 HU as that should keep the phone and iPod integration in tact but I would like to replace the amp(s) and speakers if possible any suggestions? Is there anything else I would need to replace to give the sound some depth and presence...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
So you're looking to upgrade the stock audio (speaker) setup?

You could go to your MB dealer and ask them what it takes to upgrade to the HK system. Then go check out some tuning shop and do the same.

I think the HK system has great sound, but I really wonder if it will be simple to upgrade to it... it might be better to just get hold of an audi shop and have them replace the system for you (knowing MB, it will be expensive to go HK, so might be cheaper to have someone else do it).

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shinigami,
I will try this however I believe I asked my local dealer before and they told me they couldn't do it, but then maybe they misunderstood me and thought I was asking for the comand upgrade as well.

MTT,
My iPod is not currently attached I am using an FM modulator as a temporary solution until April when my dealer told me the integration kit would be available.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
dvanlinge - 2/13/2005 6:47 PM
...until April when my dealer told me the integration kit would be available.
You will not be able to use the iPod with a standard stereo. You must have the Command according to MB. "SLK-Class (vehicles equipped with COMMAND system only)"
http://www.mbusa.com/main/container.jsp?/features/iPod/faqs.jsp

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Julien,
I specifically asked the techs and the iPod kit integrates into the fiber loop and will work with the standard radio.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
dvanlinge - 2/13/2005 9:35 PM

Julien,
I specifically asked the techs and the iPod kit integrates into the fiber loop and will work with the standard radio.
Read the link. "For which vehicles is the solution available" Maybe the mechanics at your dealership know more than Mercedes Benz does. They should give MB a call and straighten them out.[:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I know is I asked about my configuration (Audio20) and they told me yes the kit will be available in April, also they did not just stand there and pull this "out of the air" they contacted MB through their channels and got back to me. Did you think that maybe the propaganda on the MB site is outdated?

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
I was wondeing about that too. The iPod interface is another device on the transport loop and thus should function independent of the COMAND unit. Well unless there is some functionality that depends on COMAND to work?

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
From memory I was reading about this in context of the ipod kit, and I secretly hoped based on what I had read, that having the phone option with my Audio 20 may mean I will be able to have the ipod kit too.

My understanding, which comes from links to training pdf's someone posted on here a while back, is that the Audio 20 is more limited without the phone, utilising an internal amp to the Audio 20.

With the phone it utilises an external amp on the MOST ring with an additional unit for the phone kit.

This is all from memory and I could be skewing facts as I do not have time to find and look back at the documentation.... does anyone else recall reading this and thinking the same?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe this is true, as I do have the integrated phone and they were installing the phone when I asked for the info on the iPod kit.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so if I'm reading this right, the Audio20 has an internal amp? I guess this means I will not be able to upgrade the sound system then. [:(]

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Of course you can still upgrade ;-)

Even if the Audio 20 does not have a line out, or a MOST output that can be decoded into the line outs you can still take the powered feed into some after market amps, or purcahse an additional item which will enable your powered output to be redued to that of a line out.

I am quite keen to learn what can be done, I would of had the HK treatment but fealt it was crazy I first had to pay for a nav unit I don't require - especially as the c-class can have the audio 20 with the HK...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts