Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a C36 in an auction last week and it was trucked down from Auckland (New Zealand) to Wellington on Wednesday so I picked it up last night. I'm pretty happy with my purchase, though it needs some work.

High on my list is returning it to it's original ride height. It's so low I can't get a trolly jack under it, and the wheels are rubbing the guards when going lock to lock.

I read in another thread that AMG used OEM Mercedes springs off another car for the C36.

Does anyone know what these are or what other options I have for returning my C36 back to original ride height?

Either secondhand M-B springs off another model or after market?

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
233 Posts
I bought a C36 in an auction last week and it was trucked down from Auckland (New Zealand) to Wellington on Wednesday so I picked it up last night. I'm pretty happy with my purchase, though it needs some work.

High on my list is returning it to it's original ride height. It's so low I can't get a trolly jack under it, and the wheels are rubbing the guards when going lock to lock.

I read in another thread that AMG used OEM Mercedes springs off another car for the C36.

Does anyone know what these are or what other options I have for returning my C36 back to original ride height?

Hi and congratulations on your purchase.
I can't be 100% sure, but I think the C36 was a modified C280. Check the dealer for numbers. If the car is too low, have you checked that the springs are not broken or the top spring chassis retainer is not on the way out (rust). I'm sure some C36 owners will soon be along with better wisdom.

·
Registered
1996 Silver C36
543 Posts
Spring part numbers for the C36 can be found on the Detali parts site.

You will also note that during production, shims are added to the springs to achieve the correct ride height. The shim(s) used depend on the front and rear weights of the car which in turn is determined by ordered options...ie, air-conditioning, auto gearbox...etc, etc...

The shim part numbers are also on the site below...you are looking for car 202.028 or insert your VIN number:

??????

Cheers!

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Get yourself some decent aftermarket springs- once the buzz of new ownership wears off you'll probably want it lowered a bit. Looks and drives much, much better than stock.

post a pic of the car let's check it out!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

put oem suspension back on:D. the PO probably did something dumb like cut the springs unless you are riding on 22" rims:D. i'd put after market suspension on and freshen up the suspension with new bushings..

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
I'm sure someone around here as a factory set of W202 springs if you really want to do this.

In the USA the C280 and C36 share the same setup.

·
Registered
1996 W210 AMG E36
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the USA the C280 and C36 share the same setup.
That's interesting to know Randy, I should have read this article again before asking this question because it clearly spells out what AMG did.

AMG and Mercedes raided the parts bin for many of the C36's upgrades. Front brakes come from the V-12-powered SL600, rears from the V-8-powered E420. The intake manifold, complete with larger-diameter passages, is from the E320. To handle the additional power, the C36 gets the E420's four-speed automatic, fitted with a direct 1.00:1 fourth gear. Although it carries the same axle ratio as the C280 from which it's born, the C36's differential was designed for future E-Class cars and features wider faces on the ring-and-pinion gears. C36s also get a faster-ratio steering gear, stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars, and 17-inch wheels (an inch wider in front than the C280's 6.5s, 2 inches wider in back) fitted with Bridgestone Expedia S-01s (225/45ZR17 front, 245/40ZR17 rear).

The shocks are stiffer than the C280's, but spring rates are unchanged. The C36 sits a half inch lower by using springs from the short side of production tolerances.

Mercedes-Benz C36 - Motor Trend Magazine

I know where there's a C280 being parted out so that's a real option.

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
A lot of performance cars!
25 Posts
AMG used all the understandard springs that were destined to be remelted and reused. The springs used were about 7-10mm shorter installed. Shim pads can lower or raise the car to make the desired ride height. Isn't that awesome knowing that the springs on your C36 was considered trash at one point and were rescued and an AMG part number put on it and sell it for more $$$ as a spare part?

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
Yeah, looking at your pics I don't think your 36 has been lowered. Euro (non US) versions of the C36 are a lot lower than the US counterparts and AFAIK did use a bespoke spring.

Here is a pic of my standard height one when it was still on the 17" monos for reference.

Don't raise it, looks good at that height and is definitely not too low for NZ - my CE is about the same height - with a bigger overhang, and my C280 which was lower than both of them and was never a problem!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Yeah, looking at your pics I don't think your 36 has been lowered. Euro (non US) versions of the C36 are a lot lower than the US counterparts and AFAIK did use a bespoke spring.
But the OP said that he canot get a jack under it, and the wheels are rubbing the underside on full lock. That cannot be right, surely?

·
Registered
C36 AMG 1995
37 Posts
C36 (drop's down slightly, with age)

Hello Matey, congrats on the C36 purchase.

I have owned my C36 for over 6 years now, and during the last 2 I have often thought the ground seems to be getting closer at the rear. I put this down to old coil spring that just don't have the same bounch they had when they were new. ( On bumpy road it keeps my speed down)

I will replace the rear spring in the near future with MB stock units. There are some after market one available I think. (Spax make some I think)

Laters

1 - 11 of 11 Posts