Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How can I increase the power?

2336 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MTI
Hi
I have just become a member of this side.
I bought a 1992 190E 2.6 three weeks ago and want
to increase the power of the car.

This is my first car and I have no knowlege about
modifiying a car. I just want to increase the power in a cheep way?

Please give me your suggestions...
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Well I will start off with saying that your car is definately not under powered. Drive my...

Well I will start off with saying that your car is definately not under powered. Drive my car and you will be completely satisfied with yours! I've got an '84 190D 2.2 which has 77 HP. Very slow, makes just about every car on the road seem like a speed demon.

Now cheaply increasing power is an oxymoron. The usual ways of increasing power are upgrading the air intake, upgrading the exhaust system. But those are quite costly.

It's your first car, which is a very nice car. Leave it be.

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Cheapest way is to check for the R16 resistor near your battery bay, remove it and start f...

Cheapest way is to check for the R16 resistor near your battery bay, remove it and start filling up with 91 or better octane gas. Free horsepower, just waiting for you!

At the next service, put it a K&N air filter instead of the OEM unit, it's more expensive up front, but it lasts a lot longer. Better yet, remove the stock airbox and go with a custom air intake. There are pre-made ones available, or you can fashion one from adapting another kit (Ford Focus is popular, but recently it was discovered that VW Golf intakes are nearly identical). Noticeable throttle response improvement.

· Registered
4,803 Posts
Re: what is the R16 resistor ???

Here's the link to the 190Revolution site:

http://azure.bbboy.net/190revolution-viewthread?forum=13&thread=1

In short form, MB placed a resistor in the ignition circuit to retard the timing in order to compensate for the type of fuel we have here (MBspeak for crappy US fuel). By removing the resistor, you advance the timing a few degrees and generate more HP. Euro 190's had a variable resistor that could be dialed to various degrees of timing advance or retard, something they didn't trust us with. The only thing to watch for is "pinging" or early detonation in the combustion chamber, but so far, there have been no reports of problems as long as to switch to 91 or higher octane gas.

what is its purpose and what do i do to remove it?
more details on how this change the 'power' please

· Registered
MercedesBenz190E 2.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Cheapest way is to check for the R16 resistor near your battery bay, remove it and start f

Cheapest way is to check for the R16 resistor near your battery bay, remove it and start filling up with 91 or better octane gas. Free horsepower, just waiting for you!

At the next service, put it a K&N air filter instead of the OEM unit, it's more expensive up front, but it lasts a lot longer. Better yet, remove the stock airbox and go with a custom air intake. There are pre-made ones available, or you can fashion one from adapting another kit (Ford Focus is popular, but recently it was discovered that VW Golf intakes are nearly identical). Noticeable throttle response improvement.
Thanks a lot for info and

Do you know any web site that sells custom air intake for 190 2.6?

· Registered
4,803 Posts
http://www.geocities.com/wldmn12/Intake.html

If you don't want to go thru the "DIY/Fran...

If you don't want to go thru the "DIY/Frankenstein" mod, this product is really simple and effective. I have one on my '85 2.3 8 valve. Takes about 40 minutes with a phillips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. The kit provides all the parts, including the air temp sensor lines. The only part you may have to get on your own is the valve cover breather filter, a small K&N filter, for $10.

· Registered
MercedesBenz190E 2.6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: http://www.geocities.com/wldmn12/Intake.htmlIf you don't want to go thru the

If you don't want to go thru the "DIY/Frankenstein" mod, this product is really simple and effective. I have one on my '85 2.3 8 valve. Takes about 40 minutes with a phillips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. The kit provides all the parts, including the air temp sensor lines. The only part you may have to get on your own is the valve cover breather filter, a small K&N filter, for $10.
Thanks...
I think I will get that air intake.
Do you know how much that intake can increase the
power or acceleration?
I think I will get that air intake.

· Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
513 Posts
You can visit www.2phast.com/190e that should keep you busy with mods for a while.

Not ...

You can visit www.2phast.com/190e that should keep you busy with mods for a while.

Not sure what the meaning behind "Frankenstein" on the diy'er cold air intake, but the cold air intake I made cost half of what the other does and looks/performance is superior.

good luck

· Registered
4,803 Posts
Re: You can visit www.2phast.com/190e that should keep you busy with mods for a while.Not

Not sure what the meaning behind "Frankenstein" on the diy'er cold air intake, but the cold air intake I made cost half of what the other does and looks/performance is superior.
Rik, your "quasi-cold" intake is a work of genius, as are all the other mods on your 2.6. Someone should compile a list of all the parts from other vehicles that upgrade our 190's. I suspect that one day your car is going to be more 124 than 201![:)]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.