Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Purchased this benz about a month ago and I thought that it was a six cylinder and I could drive it around and not worry about it that much since its only a 6 and I could hold back and not use my 8 cylinder lexus. I dont know if thats how they are and they didnt have enough technology back then to think about gas mileage but the car sucks on gas and I was wondering what I could do to improve the gas mileage on the car. If theres any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The 300SL that we had from '91 through '98 was fantastic on gas mileage...

It got 28-30mpg at 65-70 on the highway, and around town wasn't too shabby either...it probably boiled down to 18-20mpg combined. I really think there must be something wrong with your car...

Start by replacing your air filters, spark plugs, wires, oil and filter, fuel filter, greasing the bearings, and checking for any vacuum leaks. Then have the dealer do a tune-up and an alignment, and I bet your mileage improves significantly...

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Oh ya...and if you're one of those people that rides around with 500lbs of junk, books, briefcases, magazines, notes, fast-food wrappers, whatever, in your car then clean it out...all that extra stuff takes its toll on your mileage...

I have a friend who I hate riding with. You literally have to ride on top of piles of junk, and can't even see the floorboards there's so much crap all over.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys I am getting the spark plug wires changed right now cuz i ended up in a front end collision and the hood cut one of the wires so i am changing them. I was told by the auto body guy that you cant just change one wire is that true??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey chris I was wondering since my battery is dead should I be worried about the soft top working if i boost the car or change the battery cuz I heard that some people have problems with thier tops if they boost thier car.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
hey chris I was wondering since my battery is dead should I be worried about the soft top working if i boost the car or change the battery cuz I heard that some people have problems with thier tops if they boost thier car.
I wouldn't jump it. I would buy a new battery, charge it up, then put it in the car. I had issues with my old BMW that way, and lynns says these cars are susceptible to the same problems.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Start with a new battery, You may change as few or as many plug wires as you want, If the car has 75K or more on it, Do them all. Just how bad is the mileage? My '00 500 gets 24MPG at 65-70MPH I would say that if your not getting near 30MPG after a tune-up It could be your driving style?????????? just a thought, Let us know how you make out after the tune-up!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh and by the way the body shop is charging me 249 to change the wires is it suppose to be that expensive??

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would get the MAF (Mass air flow sensor) in the intake and O2 sensor(s) in the exhaust checked as well, these can cause huge differences in performace and gas mileage. $249 for changing plug leads seems way over the top.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i had a feeling he was rippin me off on the plugs, do you know how much the sensor and the maf would go for??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys thanks a lot for the valuable information i just got my car back today and I have to say it was an amazing feeling to drive it with the top down and i didnt need to change the battery I was really worried about the top not going up or down but it was perfect especially since the weather was 72 degrees today the car came out perfect but the guy didnt put the clear marker lights or the grille that I wanted cuz he said that that grille is really cheap and made out of plastic. but anyway the car runs good so far Ill keep you guys posted. he changed the distrubutor cap and all the spark plug wires I guess the next thing to do to tune it up would be the oil and the filter and the spark plugs and the air filter. anyway i check this everyday cuz so far its amazing!!! so if any of you are online send me a message. Raj

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont think i have that option on my car> or either i dont know where it would be

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Do have an aftermarket grille on your car?

Also, FYI, the grill has nothing whatsoever to do with the sidemarkers... Next time you get any work done, you oughtta go somewhere else...doesn't sound like whatever shop you went to this time really knows what they were talking about when it came to your car...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts