Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br>
I've got an SL500 from 97 with a glass hardtop, factory fitted. I'm really disappointed as this was one ofthe facelift cars produced from 96 onwards, specifically designed to avoid the roof leak problems of the SL's in the early 90's. The water leak on my car is on the passenger side where the top of forward door pillar meets the hard top. Water is getting in there somehow, and is dripping down onto the passenger seat. To replace the seals will cost the equivalent of $2000!!!! (I live in the UK). Can anyone recommend a short term fix for the problem? Any recommended methods for trying to locate the source of the problem? Cheers,<br>
John C.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw a '93 sl with a similar problem at a Mercedes dealer yesterday. I noticed a small amount of yellowish silicon just behind the rubber seal at the front of the hard top. When I asked about this 'repair' they told me that the silicon expands unders the rubber seal and produces a better contact with the windscreen when attached.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John<br> <br> Did you ever resolve your problem of leaking roof? I am having the same problem. So far 10 separate visits to 3 MB main dealers have failed to sort the leak!<br> <br> Rgds<br> Bob Blake

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my 94, but on both sides. Whoever owned the car before...

I had exactly the same problem with my 94, but on both sides. Whoever owned the car before me, never took took the hardtop off and the seals became compressed. Once I took the top off and put it back on a few months later, it leaked like a sieve.
It took my dealer three tries to finally get it fixed. After two failed attempts, we took off a hardtop from a car not leaking to see what might be the problem. It turned out that the hardtop seal was the wrong part number. Somehow in the confusion of it all, the Mercedes documentation on what part number to use was wrong. (There was a recall in 95/96 for leaking roofs, and there has been a few part number changes in trying to address the problem.) Once the right part number was used, everything was water tight. They also needed to replace the seals in the pillars as well. I'd be sure that they did this, since this is the source of the compression.
Luckily I had just purchased the car with a Starmark warranty and it was an immediate problem, so Mercedes covered it. (It was the first major problem I had with my car, and it only had 25K miles on it!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts