Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend brought my car to a workshop in SFV-LA a month ago, and the service man told me that my front axle joint is bad, it needs to be replace. Does the front axle joint mean the C.V. joint? The C.V. boot cover on my car had been broken since I own the car 2 years ago, at that time I haven't known that the broken C.V. boot should be replaced and the joint should be regreased immediately. But now, it seems like all grease had disappeared.

Well, anyway, on youtube, I saw broken C.V. joint will looks like it is shakable, and the good C.V. joint feels tight. Should I just jack up my car, and trying to shake my front wheel to check the condition of my C.V. joint? So, if those front wheels are able to shake, does that mean the C.V. joint is bad? Opppositely, if those front wheels are tight and cannot move while I jack it up, does that mean the C.V. joint is good?

Any other method?

I hope I won't spend a lot of money on this, the work shop quote me 1000$ to fix this problem, including labor and parts.

Thanks for reading my message and happy holiday!!!;)

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,150 Posts
2 years with broken CV boot?
You are one lucky SOB. When I had a pinhole in the boot in 4-seasons on my VW, the new joint broke in less than 6 months
Hope you have good towing insurance?
Get the joint replaced ASAP. Shop around for prices. Joint (available with axle only) retails at $1200
I have axles for sale, advertised on this forum.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 years with broken CV boot?
You are one lucky SOB. When I had a pinhole in the boot in 4-seasons on my VW, the new joint broke in less than 6 months
Hope you have good towing insurance?

But the car acts as usual, no strange thing happen while I was driving.

btw, how can I check the condition of my cvjoint? does jack up the car and shake the wheel is a good method?:confused:

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
There is no easy method to test CV joint. I had joint failure with perfectly good boot and full of grease. Usually the symptoms start when you make full turn (on parking lot) and it start making noise. Next step is shaking on turn and next is no go.
What do you expect after driving 2 years with no grease?

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no easy method to test CV joint. I had joint failure with perfectly good boot and full of grease. Usually the symptoms start when you make full turn (on parking lot) and it start making noise. Next step is shaking on turn and next is no go.
What do you expect after driving 2 years with no grease?

here is a video explaning the bad and good C.V. joints.

Well, while I do a full turn in the parking lot, the car makes large noise. But it only makes noise while I step on the gas pedal. That means, while I turn the steering wheel to the right end or left end, and step the gas pedal, the car start to turn and make big noise like "dang-dang-dang....", I lift my foot off the pedal, noise all gone, quite, and the car is still turning..... I guess the problem belongs to the engine mount, because while the car is turning hard, the engine has to give large torque at low rpm, and it shakes, the engine mount has no rubber at all right now.

Is my assumption correct?

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kajtek1, I admire you because you are on duty at benzworld everyday even on the Christmas holiday session, hehe, you won't go anywhere?

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
I spend 4 hr this morning trying to make those idiots at Tracfone to activate my new phone with old phone number. They make the phone working, but lost my number in the process. This forum is relax for me, or equivalent of shrink's sofa :D
Day after tomorrow we drive to Las Vegas for New Year. I am sure ready. You will not see me on this forum when I be winning ;)
Coming to your problem -now looks like you have bunch of them. Fix the known things and than worry about unknown.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spend 4 hr this morning trying to make those idiots at Tracfone to activate my new phone with old phone number. They make the phone working, but lost my number in the process. This forum is relax for me, or equivalent of shrink's sofa :D
Day after tomorrow we drive to Las Vegas for New Year. I am sure ready. You will not see me on this forum when I be winning ;)
Coming to your problem -now looks like you have bunch of them. Fix the known things and than worry about unknown.
haha...

Then, according to my observation, what's the problem from your view? I mean my observation on doing a full turn in a parking lot.

Well, talking about telephone and internet service, Att is much better than those Canadian providers, here in vancouver, it limits the amount I download per month, 35GB/month, addtional 2$/GB. 3G service is unlimited in california and limited to 1GB here in Canada.

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
YOU NEED NEW CV JOINT period.
Tracfone is prepaid service. For $80 I can have it for full year and +- 1000 minutes is way more than I need for a year ;)
Bad part is that the CS in India is hard to communicate with, their website is flooded with errors and the new phone was send with wrong SIM card.
Still they have good coverage and unbeatable price.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YOU NEED NEW CV JOINT period.
Tracfone is prepaid service. For $80 I can have it for full year and +- 1000 minutes is way more than I need for a year ;)
Bad part is that the CS in India is hard to communicate with, their website is flooded with errors and the new phone was send with wrong SIM card.
Still they have good coverage and unbeatable price.
hummm... 80$ for a full year, no 3G right? I'm currently using iphone4, plan is 70$/month including everything, tax.. 911 fees etc. very expensive..:surrender: it only has 250 minutes talk time and 1GB 3G data stream.

OK, thanks for you simple and fast problem response with a period.:D You said 1200$ for C.V. joint, is that a piece or two pieces? If one side costs 1200, and then plus labor costs... the total cost will be terrible.

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
I paid the dealer for the axle when mine broke years ago. Had a discount, but still costly. That is why I bought spare axles that I have now for sale.
At present time you have more choices with black market joints, "rebuild axles" and so on. Make me an offer for the 2 I have and you will have spare. At least those are OEM :D

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The simple way to test a CV joint is to drive the car full circle left and then right. If the joint is bad it will make a very loud clicking noise.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The simple way to test a CV joint is to drive the car full circle left and then right. If the joint is bad it will make a very loud clicking noise.
well, it is strange that the car only had noise while I step on the gas peddle while doing a full turn, while my foot lift off from the gas pedal, the car is turning with no noise at all.... strange....btw, u r still in guizhou?

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I paid the dealer for the axle when mine broke years ago. Had a discount, but still costly. That is why I bought spare axles that I have now for sale.
At present time you have more choices with black market joints, "rebuild axles" and so on. Make me an offer for the 2 I have and you will have spare. At least those are OEM :D
Hey, it's good to hear that you have spare parts, are your parts 4MATIC? my model is 210.082 and I believe that axles are different from RWD versions.

·
52,804 Posts
No I am in Shanghai now.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I am in Shanghai now.
good, shanghai is much better, cleaner and road networks are very nice.

btw, do you know why my car acts like it only had noise while I step on the gas peddle while doing a full turn, my foot lift off from the gas pedal, the car is turning with no noise at all....

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
52,804 Posts
With the gas pedal depressed the joints are under load.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Kajtek1,
Leave your money with me than those dealers in Vegas. I promise to pay you interest. I usually spend 7 days during X'mas in Belagio with comp. room for 10 yrs until 2008, but I end up paying them $600/day ea. trip. I still have an acct. with then but I am not ready to go back this yr. otherwise I will take your family to eat good chinese food there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts