Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C280 4Matic station wagon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a LHD c280 wagon in Japan with bi-xenon headlights. Even though Japan drives on the left hand of the road (RHD), the original Japanese owner purchased the car with LHD steering but with the headlight set up for Japan (i.e. RHD). I am now importing the car into Canada and to register the car, it needs to pass the provincial inspection. To pass, I know that I will likely need to replace at least the left hand headlight and perhaps even both headlights. The car already has bi-xenon headlights with the auto-level sensors. Do the bi-xenon headlights have a switch to go from RHD to LHD illumination? If there is no way of switching from RHD to LHD illumination, I am hoping that I can simply plug and play with some locally sourced LHD bi-xenon headlights. Can anybody confirm this is true? Does anybody know where to find LHD bi-xenon headlights?

A second question has to do with daylight running lights. In Canada it is compulsory that all cars use daylight running lights at all times and that the headlights come on automatically when you start the car up. Having the headlight switch on auto is not sufficient. When we moved from the US with our BMW, we were able to code the headlights to come on automatically, is such a possibility also available with Mercedes?

A third question has to do with the front bumper turn signals and orange reflectors. In Japan, like in Europe, these are not necessary so are not present on the car. In Canada, we are required to have them. Are the Euro/Japan front bumpers made with an extractable piece that can be removed to allow the standard North American reflector/turn signal to be installed?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,750 Posts
Some RHD cars sold in Europe have lever inside the headlights to change the beam pattern. I am not sure if these were available in the Japan market cars. My guess is that it is not. This means you will need new headlights.

There may be a menu option on the instrument cluster for "Headlamp mode = Constant". Again, this is market-specific and I am not sure if Japan had that. If not, then the cluster can be re-coded to a different country (i.e. USA) and it should then be available.

I don't believe there are "knock-outs" for the side markers, so you would have to either replace the bumper or cut them manually. Then there is the issue of wiring and the front SAM coding.

·
Registered
2006 C280 4Matic station wagon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some RHD cars sold in Europe have lever inside the headlights to change the beam pattern. I am not sure if these were available in the Japan market cars. My guess is that it is not. This means you will need new headlights.

There may be a menu option on the instrument cluster for "Headlamp mode = Constant". Again, this is market-specific and I am not sure if Japan had that. If not, then the cluster can be re-coded to a different country (i.e. USA) and it should then be available.

I don't believe there are "knock-outs" for the side markers, so you would have to either replace the bumper or cut them manually. Then there is the issue of wiring and the front SAM coding.
Thank you Rodney. I have a copy of the build sheet, the codes pertaining to lighting are: 600 Headlamps cleaning equipment, 618 Bi-xenon for left hand traffic, 619 cornering illumination

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,750 Posts
You just need to look at the headlights on this car to see if they have the levers to switch the shutters from RHD to LHD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts