Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'93 600SEC; '84 190D
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i purchased a '93 600sec at an insurance auction. the car has 72xxx miles and looks mint.
now the engine only turns 1/4 with the spark plugs out and there's coolant in the oil which makes me think that the head gasket/s are blown and the engine hydro locked and possible broke some connecting rods.
those this sound familiar to any of you guys? I would like to try to rebuild the engine but i wanna know whats expecting me. the other option its to put another engine with 1xx.xxx miles for about 3-4k.
any hepl is welcome. thanks guys

Cat

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,145 Posts
I'd say its new engine time. It would probably be cheaper (and faster) for you to buy a used engine than to try and re-build the one you have. The only way to be sure would be to tear it down and look. If the engine hydro-locked and bent a rod so bad as to not allow it to turn more than 1/4 revolution, chances are there is some damage to the block/cylinder walls as well.

·
Registered
1914 Mercedes 28/95 hp, 83' 300SD, 93' S420, (three) 94' S420's, 95' S500 & 96' S600
284 Posts
Further investigation of driveline and subsystems suggested!

hello,

i purchased a '93 600sec at an insurance auction. the car has 72xxx miles and looks mint.
now the engine only turns 1/4 with the spark plugs out and there's coolant in the oil which makes me think that the head gasket/s are blown and the engine hydro locked and possible broke some connecting rods.
those this sound familiar to any of you guys? I would like to try to rebuild the engine but i wanna know whats expecting me. the other option its to put another engine with 1xx.xxx miles for about 3-4k.
any hepl is welcome. thanks guys

Cat
Both of your options are burning my right rear pocket. Although, the 120 (V12) is my Benz Engineering Teams personal concept and application. I certainly understand your enthusiasm! That W140 S600 and her Power Plant... send "I want to drive all day".... all through my body and soul!

Were you able to operate/drive this machine prior to these findings? A (V12) 120 that has been used to maximum and damaged, can have also put undue stress on the rest of the drive-train as well.

Before expending thousands on another used power-plant of unknown condition.

Would seriously suggest further investigation of transmission, driveline and suspension. Also, would look into sub-systems for evidence of the previous owner partially parting them out prior to giving up for Auction! :mad:

We designed and engineered the V12 (120.XXXX for "Torque and Extreme Autobahn-Power)... :bowdown:

both "it would seem"... were demonstrated to points of excess! :rolleyes:

Before expending further major funds, spend a few funds to investigate your W140 foundation! Although she is beautiful, this GAL could/will be high maintenance to get back on the dance floor! Make sure she is worthy of your further investment!

Sincere regards..... Dietrich and Robert :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'93 600SEC; '84 190D
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for sharing all these. the only history of the car is the CarFax that i ran prior purchasing the vehicle.
the last engine service that shows its at 66.xxx miles and from what i can see the oil was changed regulary but...... at Meineke.
and the car ran 2.000 miles before the actual mileage. After my opinion a v12 at 72.xxx miles it should be "almost" impossible to kill, but if you have the will.
And i've noticed that you dont see too many with over 150.000 miles on. Any reason?
isn't the head gasket an issue for the v12? i read this on more than one forum.
I did take a look at the suspension and drive train and looks ok. i didnt take nothing apart yet.
the rest of the car everythig works fine i tried everything that can be tried with the engine off. looks ok.

best regards,
Cat

·
Registered
'93 600SEC; '84 190D
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok

it is time for an update just put the engine on the stand and as i thought thats exactly what happened. the head gasket on the right bank blew and im pretty sure nobody ever looked at the temp. gauge or if they did it was too late already. one of the cylinders hydro locked and broke the connecting rod.
for now everything looks much better than i was expecting and after ill get the results from the machine shop ill go for a complete rebuild.

i need the following parts: piston, connecting rod, rings , head gaskets for now. does anybody knows a decent supplier and not the stealer?

what else do you guys recommend doing while im in there?

Cat

·
Registered
1996 S600
200 Posts
Cat, please consider updating your profile to indicate model, model year, and where you are. From this post we know you have an S600, but other posts might leave out this information leading to confusion. Similarly, different model years have variations and manufacturing running changes that might be relevant given particular issues that arise. If you are in North America, try autohausaz.com or Phil at mercedesshop. Each website lists phone contact as well. Both suppliers list extensive engine parts availability but there are many parts that -- presumably -- are not economically feasible for these suppliers to source.

As for head gasket failure, I'm not aware of this being a known vulnerability, but these torque monsters do encourage a certain (car) joie de vivre that can lead to other things than poor bilingual puns.

Thanks for the update; let us know how you proceed.

·
Registered
'93 600SEC; '84 190D
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try autohausaz.com or Phil at mercedesshop.
i dont think i have any chance to find conecting rod and piston on a web site.
Im trying with the dismantlers and hopefuly one of you guys have an old parts engine.
i will look onto the EPC for the part #'s and make a call to a dealer see what they want for.
also i will try in europe too.

thanks guys
lets bring another w140 back to life
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts

·
Registered
'93 600SEC; '84 190D
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just found conecting rod and piston for $150 :D its a good start after all the optimism was gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts