Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST PURCHASED A 1986 560SL LIGHT BLUE /GREY INTERIOR I NEED TO BRING IT TO FLORIDA IT IS IN NEW YORK IT HAS BEEN SERVICED AND GARAGE KEPT 8400 MILES. SHOULD I HAVE ANY CONCERNS OR KNOW ANYTHING SPECIAL ABOUT THIS MODEL THANK YOU TIM

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like you got a good one!<br> <br> Brakes (especially front) seem to wear quicker than normal. Speedometer/odometer seems to be a problem @ 130,000 more or less. Release mechanisim for soft top seems to hang up if not lubricated w/light oil.<br> <br> The previous owners of the one that I have (also an '86) had the air conditioning converted over to the 134a refrigerant.<br> <br> If you like doing the maintenance yourself, MB offers the shop manuals on one CD for just over a $100 - a good deal, as the hard copies would be over $200. It also has the service schedules.<br> <br> I have a book - 'Mercedes Benz - Production Models 1946 - 1990' - according to the book there were 49,347 units produced.<br> <br> I purchased mine a little over a year ago and am still very much enjoying it. Good luck and if you have any questions in the future, this forum is the place.<br> <br> Stan

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS - Manual recommends lubricating throttle linkage w/auto trans fluid every time engine is cleaned.<br> <br> To keep the plastic windows clear on the soft top, squirt just a tad of WD-40 on each window and clean with the softest cloth you can find. Clean until all excess WD-40 is gone.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would replace the battery before the trip if it is an origional. I just purchased a 1988 560sl and could not figure out for a while the rotten eeg smell. It was the battery! I got lucky!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats...I have an 83 Euro. Great car, just remember, it's not a sports car and does not handle like one. 8400 thousand miles? You've got a lot of fun ahead of you. Mine is in mint condition with...Get this...210,000! And it runs better than my Ford Explorer with 60,000!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts