Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anybody can help me here. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to remove the clear glass face off a W124 instrument cluster. I already removed the cluster from the car, unscrewed the back and pulled out the gauges but I'm stuck figuring out how to remove the glass. I need to remove the glass to install a flat chrome gauge panel .
If anybody can help that would be great.

Here's a link to what I'm trying to install. But I need to figure out how to open up the cluster face

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-95-MERCE...053262612QQrdZ1

~Cali

·
Registered
1990 W124 300TE-24 3.4 AMG, 1991 W126 300SEL
152 Posts
I did it but it was a crude way!!! You need to insert a sharp pen knife along a top half of the plastic 'clear glass'. Just run the pen knife several times until you can peel the 'clear glass' towards you.

Do not touch the inside with your fingers. There will be small bits of plastic...just blow the it off!

When putting back the 'clear glass', smear the top of it with a clear plastic modeling glue and push it back into place.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that was actually going to be my last option. I've been sitting staring at this cluster all weekend to figture out a better way to open it up.But I think you might be right.

Does anybody have any other ideas how to do this?

thanks,
~Cali

·
Registered
1990 W124 300TE-24 3.4 AMG, 1991 W126 300SEL
152 Posts
Hi Cali

I also put the orange 5Watt side signal marker light bulb (european car) instrument binacle in place of the old yellow ones. Look really nice at night.

Raf

·
Registered
794 Posts
RafMAR - 4/11/2006 10:22 PM

Hi Cali

I also put the orange 5Watt side signal marker light bulb (european car) instrument binacle in place of the old yellow ones. Look really nice at night.

Raf
Be careful of the higher wattage bulbs. You may be looking for trouble.

·
Registered
88 Benz 260E
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, pulling the cluster out of the car is not the problem. I already have it out. It's removing the clear glass panel that's giving me problems.

So far this is becoming a reallly expensive mod. I cracked 1 cluster and melted another. Now it just became PERSONAL !! I will get this mod done no matter what. Arggggg
Thanks for the input guys

~Cali

1 - 7 of 7 Posts