Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
W123.133(1985)
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1984 240d (371000kms)from an MB fan who mantained it in perfect condition.The car really works OK(no fumes,good oil pressure,no odd noise,etc);but I have a doubt concerning the engine's working temp.While riding in the city(a/c connected or not) it runs at 85 degrees,no matter if it's a hot day or not.But (only)on hot days of 30+deg.celcius and riding above 110km/h on the freeway the gauge starts to go up (very slowly)to get stuck on a very stable 105degrees,unless I slow down,or shut the A/C off.
I've already changed the original thermostat for a 71deg. one recomended by an official MB Dealer;with a slight result(it gets cold quicker).
I've contacted many sources(previous owner,MB dealer,and other MB owners) and they all say there's noyhing to be afraid unless the gauge reaches the 120 deg. RED Line(something that's never happened);and that these cars normally raise the temp(by that levels) on hot days.
Is it normal as Mercedes says??
Any comments?
Thanks ,Alejo.
PS:Does the aux. electric fan work ONLY with the A/C turned on(as my car)or has to work depending on the engine temp(as many other cars)Your text hereYour text here

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Nothing to be concerned about

The comments are correct. Heat is not hurting your diesel unless it exceeds the red line area. I had a 300 D wagon that would run that hot all the time in summer. I replaced the radiator, the thermostat, and even the instrument cluster and it still ran that way. If you are sitting in traffic, it is always a good idea to either turn the air down or off if you are not moving. Your electric fans will operate whether the air is ON or OFF.

·
Registered
1994 SL320, '76 240D
153 Posts
Yes it even says in the owners manual and in my engine technical manual that after driving...

Yes it even says in the owners manual and in my engine technical manual that after driving up inclines, in traffic or at high rpms for periods of time, it may cause the temperature to go up on the needle - but as said by the people you talked to, as long as it doesn't pass the red line your okay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.