Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going to this show. Is anyone interested in meeting up and checking it out?

http://hotimportnights.com/flyers_show.asp?id=83

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slknow - 4/8/2005 10:21 AM

Do you drive a Honda?
Well, yes. I have my dad's K0 Honda 750 from 1970 that he bought new, but if you're talking about things with 4 wheels, the answer is no. I only have the SLK and a minivan.

I found out about this show when I was looking around the web for vertical door kit information. I ended up at this touring show where they had some pictures of some tricked out mercedes coupes with lots of modifications. So, I thought there might be something of interest.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I'd go if I was in Houston, I'm on call at work tomorrow and it's a bit of a drive. If you go, let us know if it was worthwhile/entertaining.

Even looking at modified ricers can be entertaining. I stopped by my neighborhood hardware store parking lot where a local classic car club was having a small show/get-together. It was fun looking at some of the old muscle cars with chrome everywhere, wild paint, fuzzy dice etc. If you like cars, any car show can be enjoyable, even if they are Hondas.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
slknow - 4/8/2005 10:21 AM

Do you drive a Honda?
See, HIN is for the TUNER culture...not ricers. Tuner culture spawned from kids putting huge mufflers and unpainted mix-and matched body kits on their honda civic hatchbacks, along with flashing strobe lights, underglow, chrome windshield wipers, and stickers that add horsepower.[:p]

Unfortunately, a lot of people think they are tuners when they do the aforementioned "mods" to their '87 civic hatchback, and this is where all the hatred and stereotypes come from. I presonally hate "ricers," as they have notoriously been come to be known, and I like to have my share of fun with them and put them to shame, and then make fun of them. They tend to be low-life losers from my experience, and trust me, I have a lot of experience.

But despite all of these ricers, tuner culture is not much of this. I actually have respect for a nice modified import. They actually have engine mods and innovative mods that take time and money. It has even expanded to every make of car, incuding our precious Mercedes', BMWs, Dodges, etc. etc. etc. And the main difference between ricers and tuners is: quality. Not everybody likes tuner cars, but I'm sure if you looked long and hard, there would be some that you could appreciate.

This isn't really aimed at you, I just thought I'd share my thoughts on HIN with you...and your comment just made me think of the stereotype of ricers. [:D]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
16falcon - 4/8/2005 11:34 AM

I'd go if I was in Houston, I'm on call at work tomorrow and it's a bit of a drive. If you go, let us know if it was worthwhile/entertaining.

Even looking at modified ricers can be entertaining. I stopped by my neighborhood hardware store parking lot where a local classic car club was having a small show/get-together. It was fun looking at some of the old muscle cars with chrome everywhere, wild paint, fuzzy dice etc. If you like cars, any car show can be enjoyable, even if they are Hondas.
Thanks for the input. There's another show happening down here in a month that is always good. It's the Classic Wheels and Wooden Keels car and boat show at the Houston yacht club. Really exotic stuff here.
http://www.keels-wheels.com/

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The show was better than I thought it would be. Great cars. Great big turbos on a bunch of Skylines. A tricked-out Ferrari. It turns out there's a BMW group in Houston that was there and had a lot of fine cars. Their name is BavarianSpeed. Here's a link to their website with some pictures. You'll have to register to see the pictures, though. I'll try to post some in the future. There wasn't a single benz in the show, but there were bunches in the parking lot, including a nice SL 500.

http://forum.bavarianspeed.com/showthread.php?t=6127

1 - 7 of 7 Posts