Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally bit the bullet and fitted mine today. After following various threads regarding your experiences with products on yoru side of the pond, I opted for a Hot Frog! ( from these guys original hot frog universal Motorvorheizer pre heater)
This is the one I have now. engine preheater block heater coolant heater HOT FROG on eBay (end time 23-Nov-10 13:07:20 GMT)

I bought M18 banjos, bolts, hose, jubilee clips etc etc and braced myself for the install. After reading the hilariously translated destructions, I went at it. 20 mins and she was in.It suggests cutting the return hose from the heater matrix in the cab, which I didn't have to do. There was already a brass 17mm ID connector, in just the right spot.So I undid the clips, inserted the heater and tightened the clips. I then topped up the coolant, and went for a drive to ensure the heater matrix was full of water.I now have a connector and clips to remove the heater out in the field in case of a catastrophic failure.
I let the truck cool down and plugged her in. Immediately the hose heated up and you could hear the coolant flowing,so I went for a brew and left it for half an hour.Came back and it was nice and warm. I kind of ran out fo time, so haven't managed to do a stone cold test yet, but will update. The heater is designed to switch off at 80°c and back on at 70°c. Suits me sir!

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
I really like the fact that the Frog has an internal pump to help move the coolant around. But by the looks of things without using 220 in america to run it I don't see myself getting one. Would love to see some photos if you get some time :)

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Best mod EVER !

Mine is plugged-in at least 6 hours a day. Now, I don't have to worry about if my little teapot is gonna start or not.

Only drawback I can see is that it melts the snow on the hood, snow that turns into icicle when it hits the grill.

Lost the horn today because of that. It came back after a couple hour of blowing snow like a mad man.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
so how is the snow blowing going ?
The blower is great, the hours are not.

I'm getting more and more familiar with the distances on that implement.

I use it a lot as a box blade on my contracts run.

Vids will happen soon.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gents, photos as requested. Not very exciting I'm afraid. cable is just "as is" for now, but may well hardwire it and put a socket on the side of the truck as a later project. First real test tomorrow night.

Attachments

·
Registered
Vehicle: 1397 Portative Organ Normally Aspirated....U411, U2450,463 300GD
1,500 Posts
The blower is great, the hours are not.

I'm getting more and more familiar with the distances on that implement.

I use it a lot as a box blade on my contracts run.

Vids will happen soon.
Yes, fun playing with the toys at first....then it becomes a JOB after 12 hours in cab....for that matter some times after 6 hours....

Did u get the rear camera going?

Evan

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
I like your UNICAM, is that a security camera just for keeping an eye on your mog?
Yep it's a WIFI IP cam. It's sole purpose is to watch the mog and notify me of the presence of hobos and crackheads.

It's at a building I own and I kept the parkings for me for my daily drivers.

It's downtown so there is a lot of bums around.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Yes, fun playing with the toys at first....then it becomes a JOB after 12 hours in cab....for that matter some times after 6 hours....

Did u get the rear camera going?

Evan
My contracts are all commercial so pretty easy, but I have issues with waking up at 3am. I usually go to sleep at that time.

I got a wireless backup camera that I use mainly to line up the 3-point hitch with thy implement. I put the LCD screen next to the roof radio console. I also use the camera to make sure I don't lift the blower too high so it hides the licence plate/rear lights from the coppers.

When I work the snow, I remove the tailgate so I can get a better view

NB: I am sorry normalbloke, for the hijacking of your thread. Just filling up board space while we wait for the results of your tests.

·
Premium Member
63' Unimog 404 TLF-8, 08' Smart 451 Passion, 88' MB 560SEL (sold)
20 Posts
Let me know when someone finds a 110v version of this product. I have an old 44' Ford tractor and a 63' Unimog that would appreciate the cold weather upgrade of a HotFrog.

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Let me know when someone finds a 110v version of this product. I have an old 44' Ford tractor and a 63' Unimog that would appreciate the cold weather upgrade of a HotFrog.
You don't need a Hotfrog per say, go to your local NAPA or Canadian tire and get a 70$ Zerostart coolant heater (made in canada). Same principle.

·
Registered
1962 404, 1957 405SH and lots of Landrovers
303 Posts
Kenlow also make a 110v version of their preheater. i have the 240v version in my Diesel 1964 landrover 109. 20 minutes of preheat and it starts first time, everytime, even in last weeks -15 degrees centigrade. it was soooo good having it preheated with warm air coming from the heater as soon as she started and being one of the only vehicles moving safely around in 4wd on 2 inches of ice on the roads.

j

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gents, How about this for an update.
It worked beautifully, twice.
Then it failed! It now trips out the electricity and will not run!
It is going back and I shall be buying the Eberspacher stand alone jobby at some point.
It may be a one off, but who knows!
I am just pleased it was so easy to fit or I'd be really annoyed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts