Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1975 450 SLC runs great but blows hot air from under the drivers foot area constantly. It only gets worse if I start messing with the dash levers. Next my turn signals stopped working I changed the flasher rely under the dash but that didn't work. I've ordered a combination switch also but it hasn't gotten here yet, hope that works. I did check fuses on pass side panel already. Anybody want to buy a great looking Blue :confused: 450 SLC for 5 thousand dollars in Las Vegas? It even comes with a brand new $1000 stereo system in it. I've ordered a SLK230 as I'm getting to old for this mechanical stuff!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
I have the same thing happen on my 1973 450 SLC. No one has help me on this subject though. Iv'e tried all sorts of things. But haven't figured it out yet. The only thing that did work a little was close all windows and crack up the ac. SORRY to hear that your giving uup on your SLC. It is sort of like keeping a computer working with Windows before XP.:D But I do it as a hobby time thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1975 450 SLC runs great but blows hot air from under the drivers foot area constantly. It only gets worse if I start messing with the dash levers. Next my turn signals stopped working I changed the flasher rely under the dash but that didn't work. I've ordered a combination switch also but it hasn't gotten here yet, hope that works. I did check fuses on pass side panel already. Anybody want to buy a great looking Blue :confused: 450 SLC for 5 thousand dollars in Las Vegas? It even comes with a brand new $1000 stereo system in it. I've ordered a SLK230 as I'm getting to old for this mechanical stuff!
Ok I just got a 73, 450 SL. I had to drive it 3 hours hard too on blasting furnace heat in my face and it’s 120.
I went to Canadian tire to buy tools .... had the hood trunk and doors open manuals open. A guy drove by and asked if he could help. Told him I can’t get the heat off.
First thought pull fuse... then he found the heater core... instructed me to turn on engine. Adjust heat levers. No change. He then located a small cylinder right side of heater. It has a small nut and a 3 inch bar with a bend. That little bar is what the levers push to adjust the heater. However it wasn’t responding. To the right of that is a small white plastic lever which is triggered by that tiny metal bar. That white plastic lever was in the one position. When you push that lever the opposite way it shuts of the heat source.
However the metal bar was applying pressure to the lever when put in the off position. Which forces the lever to leak coolant.
He instructed me to unscrew the bolt on the 3 in bar and remove the cylinder with the bar all together and then fully close the plastic lever...
it ended up being easier than that. As I was taking off the nut the 3” bar twisted and the bend faced the opposite way from the white plastic lever. I then closed the lever. Restarted the vehicle and checked for leaking coolant.
It worked. It was a 4 min fix. It took longer to write this post.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,708 Posts
There's a guide on lever adjustment in the EGV section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts