Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
W208 CLK430 Coupe, W212 E350 Sedan
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone
i was driving the otherday when a clk 500 cab. came up on my right. we were stopped at a light and he signaled to me that he wanted to race. being me, i just ignored him. im not a big fan of illegal street racing, and if i got caught it would be even worse because im a newly licensed driver. anyways, the point of the story is, what can i do to boost my hp up to atleast 300? i know that after 40,000 miles its specs arent the same as when it were brand new but lets say everything was brand new. what could i do?

i have a 2000 clk 430 coupe.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
horse power upgrades

from what i have read on this board some things you can do without spending big bucks are install a AMG55 airbox and green filters, chip tune, pulley kit(which many say the pulley kit is not worth it), medium bucks = race exhaust and headers. big bucks = Kleemann supercharger.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what i have read on this board some things you can do without spending big bucks are install a AMG55 airbox and green filters, chip tune, pulley kit(which many say the pulley kit is not worth it), medium bucks = race exhaust and headers. big bucks = Kleemann supercharger.

when you say "without spending big bucks" what do you mean? like tops of $200? because thats what im expecting, since everything for a mercedes seems to be so expensive :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200? are you serious? its not a honda man....
i know that.....but i mean a new magnaflow muffler and tips is about 200 maybe 230. i'm only 16 and i need to wait until school ends to get a job. so i mean, money is a problem here haha.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Dude, get ready to spend some serious money on these cars. You bought a Mercedes-Benz. You will be handing over the cash not only for the name, but also for the quality. Simply put, you are driving a luxury sport coupe, the thing isn't cheap in ANY way.

I would leave it as is. They are nice cars as is and since you just bought the car you should seriously reset the Adaptive Throttle. (The car learns how you drive and it is still going to be "oriented" to the way the previous owner drove.) After resetting it you will have a fresh start and you will notice that your vehicle will now have a little bit of an extra "kick" to it.

Follow the procedure as shown.
Turn key to II (do not start the car.) FLOOR the throttle for 15 seconds, turn key off (keep the key in the ignition.) Release the throttle and let set for at least two minutes.

Try this and see if you feel any difference.:thumbsup:

-Zack

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we bought the car brand new in 2000, and my dad was a pretty "conservative" driver if you know what i mean :p i knew the car had an adaptive throttle, but i thought it would reset after you turned the car off.

i was expecting the prices to be high, but i was hoping cheap upgrades would be under 300. guess life isnt perfect :p

and thanks for the advice zack! i'll try that tomorrow once i finish my damned research paper -_-

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
bucks

Steve, I think the best bang for your buck is the chip tune. Powerchip, the last time I looked was $7-800 or somewhere around there. Don't quote me on that. They claim the best/highest increase in hrspwr and torque. I used INMotion on my 320 and was pleased with the results. Nothing really dramatic but better mileage and performance were measureable. There has been extensive discussions on the subject. In the upper righthand of this page under the wheel of the car is a search function. Click on the word Search then type in "chip tune" then look for the w208 forum on the right side of the search results. First things first. Reset the adaptive driving parameters and you should notice a difference and no, it doesn't reset itself. If you driving hard the car will respond to your style. If you are a conservative driver like your dad, and sometimes we have to be when we are in traffic, the car's computer will remember that and respond slower. There was an AMG55 airbox forsale on this forum just a couple of days ago.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1439144-amg-airbox-sale-new-paint.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, I think the best bang for your buck is the chip tune. Powerchip, the last time I looked was $7-800 or somewhere around there. Don't quote me on that. They claim the best/highest increase in hrspwr and torque. I used INMotion on my 320 and was pleased with the results. Nothing really dramatic but better mileage and performance were measureable. There has been extensive discussions on the subject. In the upper righthand of this page under the wheel of the car is a search function. Click on the word Search then type in "chip tune" then look for the w208 forum on the right side of the search results. First things first. Reset the adaptive driving parameters and you should notice a difference and no, it doesn't reset itself. If you driving hard the car will respond to your style. If you are a conservative driver like your dad, and sometimes we have to be when we are in traffic, the car's computer will remember that and respond slower. There was an AMG55 airbox forsale on this forum just a couple of days ago.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1439144-amg-airbox-sale-new-paint.html
thanks for the advice man. i already emailed that guy with some questions earlier on in the day, i think i may pick that up from him. i try to be a safe driver, so if the means i have to drive hard, then i'll drive hard; but i live on a private road, so when i'm in there i drive pretty hard. i'm definitely going to reset that tomorrow before i drive to school, so i'll post back telling you guys if i noticed anything. i'll do the search on the chip later on, i remember going through something about that chip. if i remember correctly there was something about getting to 310hp in that post. am i right? thats definately what im interested in.

also, how much do you think it would be to have my engine rebuilt/cleaned. will the dealer do that? i know its going to be extremely expensive, but my dealer has an amg performance center there, so they should know how to do that right? or would i be better off just taking it to a mechanic who specializes in mercedes'?

thanks again for all the replies guys. i love this forum!

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
what up bro! I understand your cash dilemma. I'm in grad school and money isn't free here either. BUT, my little bro is 17 and has a GTO he's *trying* to mod.

So, I would recommend you get upgraded air filters (2 K&N or Green or similar) to start with. You could get a 55 air box, but that's about $300. The 320 airbox actually is a higher horsepower mod. we did dyno testing one day and found that. Best bang for your buck would be 320 box and filter (cheap and available). It's not very pretty compared to the 430/55 covers tho. Sits in the corner, not on top of the engine.

Also, magnaflow muffler and tips will make you THINK your car is faster! Sounds great for sure. Good all around mods. Replace your catalytic converters w/ hi-flow cats for a good cheap mod. (depending on how strict emissions are there)

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 & 2001.5 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax EC/LB LB7
356 Posts
Hey no problem man. I have to make time for my car between Calculus and Biology! It pays to have the shiniest car in the campus parking lot!!! Chicks love CLK's!

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
Rebuild/Clean engine?

You are kidding right? If that car only has 40K miles on it, it is just broke in and running freely. With regular oil changes there's no way that engine needs to be rebuilt. With regular oil changes and normal driving the engine should last over 200k easly. you might do some homework to see what a good fuel tank injector cleaner might be, and many will tell you it's a waist of time, and many will tell you the opposite. you don't have to worry about changing the fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, transmission fluid, differential fluid and the like until you have moved well above 50K and closer to 75K. If you haven't already had it done, you are probably looking at replacing the brake pads and sensors sometime soon as well as the coolant and brake fluid. the last two should be done every 2-3 years. If dad drove conservatively you may still have some life left on the pads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what up bro! I understand your cash dilemma. I'm in grad school and money isn't free here either. BUT, my little bro is 17 and has a GTO he's *trying* to mod.

So, I would recommend you get upgraded air filters (2 K&N or Green or similar) to start with. You could get a 55 air box, but that's about $300. The 320 airbox actually is a higher horsepower mod. we did dyno testing one day and found that. Best bang for your buck would be 320 box and filter (cheap and available). It's not very pretty compared to the 430/55 covers tho. Sits in the corner, not on top of the engine.

Also, magnaflow muffler and tips will make you THINK your car is faster! Sounds great for sure. Good all around mods. Replace your catalytic converters w/ hi-flow cats for a good cheap mod. (depending on how strict emissions are there)
idk much about the emission laws in connecticut, all i know is that i am up to have the car retested. last time it was test, it failed and had to go to the dealer to have some work done. so i'm kind of scared to be honest :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have hard info on that? i mean, i really dont want to spend some money and end up losing performance. should the airbox from the 55amg be better than the one from the 320? and i cant even seem to find one online haha.

where would i find some new cats (catalytic converters, right? haha)?

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
Money?????

should the airbox from the 55amg be better than the one from the 320? and i cant even seem to find one online haha. THERE'S ONE FOR SALE ON THIS THREAD (im not yelling) THERE IS NO WAY TO QUANTIFY THE DIFFERENCE/INCREASES IN PERFORMANCE UNLESS YOU OR SOMEONE WANTS TO SPEND THE MONEY TO HAVE THE CAR DYNO TESTED EACH TIME A MODIFICATION IS MADE.

where would i find some new cats? IF YOU ARE A STRUGGLING COLLEGE STUDENT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. THERE IS VERY LITTLE YOU CAN DO TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CAR WITHOUT SPENDING BIG BUCKS, WHICH YOU SAID YOU CAN'T AFFORD. FREE FLOW CATS BY THEMSELVES ARE NOT GOING TO DO MUCH FOR YOU UNLESS YOU COMBINE THEM WITH A COMPLETE FREE FLOW EXHAUST SYSTEM WHICH IS PROBABLY MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD. I GUESS MY POINT IS, YOU CAN'T REALLY DO ANYTHING HALF WAY WITH PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS AND EXPECT MEASUREABLE RESULTS. FOCUS YOUR MONEY ON SCHOOL OR DRINKING. YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGHT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH YOUR CAR.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,417 Posts
For some reason the last post reminded me of the 'distracting trumpet' gag on a recent episode of Family Guy.

...anyway, in all seriousness, if you want a free performance upgrade, drop all non-essential interior components to drop a bunch of the car's weight...and get lightweight rims. If this was brought up, sorry, I just hit the reply button.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
10 Posts
hey everyone
i was driving the otherday when a clk 500 cab. came up on my right. we were stopped at a light and he signaled to me that he wanted to race. being me, i just ignored him. im not a big fan of illegal street racing, and if i got caught it would be even worse because im a newly licensed driver. anyways, the point of the story is, what can i do to boost my hp up to atleast 300? i know that after 40,000 miles its specs arent the same as when it were brand new but lets say everything was brand new. what could i do?

i have a 2000 clk 430 coupe.
hey arent we almost in the same spot...im 17 with a black CLK430

·
Registered
450SLC
347 Posts
Mate you dont need to get any fancy 55k airboxs or buy the K&N filters to open up the airintake to get some more power out of the engine. The best thing to do is find a light weight plastic airbox from another car producing ~350-400hp at a wreckers, lightning trucks and imports often will have lightweight airboxs, just have to find one that will fit, will only cost you about $40 for the box and another $20bucks for the piping if your prepared to look around. The 55k airbox is recommended so much because it keeps everything looking stock. Another way to do it is to buy a generic set of intake piping and a nice big cone filter which will set you back around $150 and do at least as good a job as the 55k airfilters. Just depends on how much work you want to do your self.

Something to read,
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-amg-e55-amg/1440965-best-performance-intake-w210-e55-amg.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts