Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CLS 55
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that since every AMG motor is hand made that they categorize the low end of the horsepower. Meaning that they say it comes with 469 but it maybe comes with 500 horsepower. ANYONE KNOWS IF THIS IS TRUE????

·
Registered
cls 55
7 Posts
I JUST RECIEVED MY CLS55 LAST NIGHT.I BOUGHT IT FROM A DEALER IN COLORADO SO I COULD SEND IT TO KLEEMANN FOR ALL OF THE ENGINE AND DIFF, UPGRADES.THEY DID TWO DYNO'S 472H.P. 511H.P. BEFORE THE WORK WAS DONE.AND NOW IT PUTS OUT 605H.P. IT IS THE ONLY CLS55 IN THE WORLD KNOWN TO HAVE ANY ENGINE MODS.THE CAR HIT THE DYNO AT 0 TO 60 3.7 SEC.IT VERY FAST.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
soco67 - 4/17/2005 5:49 AM

I've heard that since every AMG motor is hand made that they categorize the low end of the horsepower. Meaning that they say it comes with 469 but it maybe comes with 500 horsepower. ANYONE KNOWS IF THIS IS TRUE????
Yes, I have heard this also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the rear wheel HP of your car? Converted or corrected dyno numbers don't tell the true story. Kleemann needs to stop converting their numbers!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the results at the track!

·
Registered
40 Posts
soco67 - 4/19/2005 12:49 AM

Everybody seems to have a different story on this topic. But to what I have found out on my dyno (which is a dyno jet) the 5.4 liter supercharged engines in the E and CLS classes will put down about 415-425hp and about 475-480lb/ft of torque. Those numbers are real wheel in stock form. But you will find there will be major differences in where the cars are dyno'd, and which type of dyno they are done on.
For example:
A mustang dyno will have slightly higher HP than a Dyno Jet, closer to SAE corrected HP, but the Dyno-jet is more accurate as far as rear-wheel. Also atmospheric differences will make a huge impact. Kleemann could dyno a car and get 500 hp. I could dyno the same car and get 480. So just something to think about when talking HP.

Joe

·
Registered
SLK32
244 Posts
RE: Physics of Usable Horsepower...

Gents,

In the real 'street' world, horsepower does not play as major a role as compared to torque! It is the engine torque at low to mid RPMs "twisting" the rear axle and efficient transfer of that power to the ground via great tire adhesion that really matters.

Torque is the KEY factor for 0-60mph, 0-100mph or 1/4 mile times or passing capabilities!

Horsepower comes into play for very high speed activities (>140 mph) where it is needed to overcome aerodynamic forces caused by wind resistance and friction at the point of the power band wherein torque starts to drop off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very True words... torque is KING! We've have experienced this thing called torque with our in house built 95' Dodge Viper RT/10 M2 1200R-TT.
Stroker with N20 and Proane, and Water methanol.
Not to mention twin hybrid Ball-bearing Turbo's.
5psi= 795rwhp, 895rw torque (No N20/Propane, and piggy back ECU)
8psi= Don't know yet, 1200hp dyno can't handle 8psi.
I guess we'll have to upgrade to 15-1700hp and see what happens.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
JLM2Sales - 7/12/2005 11:03 PM

Very True words... torque is KING! We've have experienced this thing called torque with our in house built 95' Dodge Viper RT/10 M2 1200R-TT.
Stroker with N20 and Proane, and Water methanol.
Not to mention twin hybrid Ball-bearing Turbo's.
5psi= 795rwhp, 895rw torque (No N20/Propane, and piggy back ECU)
8psi= Don't know yet, 1200hp dyno can't handle 8psi.
I guess we'll have to upgrade to 15-1700hp and see what happens.

That's just SICK![B)][:0][}:)]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes she is.
And she now has Full AEM stand-alone engine Mgt.
Motor is built to the MAX and we want to break records with it. She'll so 60mph in around 2.0 and
150 in about 11.2. All these are under conditions when the tires will actually catch. Anyhow its gonna be a beauty when shes done....M2 out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts