Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 14X6.5 inch Bundt for my 500 SEC with a completely dried out tire. After looking online my jaw has hit the floor. I guess 14's really and truly are going ba-bye. And some are hugely expensive. Wow.

What is a good tire choice at this point? 190 - 195 seems awful thin. Thanks.

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
511 Posts
Up here north of the border in my area the pickings are slim, what I wound up with for both of mine are Sailun's for the summer but I did luck out and scored a set of 4 Toyo Observe snow's for the 126 for winter driving. All of the tires are 205 70 R 14's.

·
Registered
12 odyssey (90k) 1995 E320 wagon (307k) 1983 500se (172k)
3,125 Posts
Had to put 195 defenders from Costco on dad's diesel because I was having same problem.
My se has ohatsus, but they are more of a summer tire. Rated touring or grand (can't remember) all season, but not good cold or cold wet grip. Amazon had them last year.
If you have to have bundt, search for uber rare 15"

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to put 195 defenders from Costco on dad's diesel because I was having same problem.
My se has ohatsus, but they are more of a summer tire. Rated touring or grand (can't remember) all season, but not good cold or cold wet grip. Amazon had them last year.
If you have to have bundt, search for uber rare 15"
They are super rare. Like unicorns! I'd love a set, but not the after market wheels.

Yeah, some low level names, for sure. That's not what i was hoping for. i will have to figure out which of the four or five is the safest bet.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
574 Posts
14" tires are indeed becoming increasingly scarce. I was gifted a set of "new look" 15" wheels which fit. And, (IMHO) they also look better than the Bundts. I have 215-70-15's Firestones and they look and work fine.
PS If you click on my car below a larger photo

Reactions: 1783pictures

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only need a good tire for the spare (at the moment). I took a look and it really is unsafe.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,738 Posts
thought u had pentas

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,120 Posts
More important than having a good tire is to have 5 lug bolts that will attach the bundt spare to your car. Most likely the bolt size is different from the wheels you are currently running on your car.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,763 Posts
More important than having a good tire is to have 5 lug bolts that will attach the bundt spare to your car. Most likely the bolt size is different from the wheels you are currently running on your car.
Very true!

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
103 Posts
When I was buying new tires for my W123 on 14" Bundts, there was a promo from Michelin. My tire shop, an awesome indy called GTE, told me "We've got a set of 5 Michelins for less than $xxx. We don't need to look at any of the other options".

So I have Michelin Defenders on my W123.

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,556 Posts
If it's your spare, just get he cheapest tire you can find that is close in diameter to your regular tires. Heck, some newer cars don't even have a spare; they have a can of green slime. Spares are to get you from the site of the flat to the nearest tire store, no more.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,801 Posts
But In the days of the w126 the spare was a fully equal size wheel and tire that could be used indefinitely , not just for emergency use

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL
26 Posts
But In the days of the w126 the spare was a fully equal size wheel and tire that could be used indefinitely , not just for emergency use
That also allowed you to do a 5 tire rotation-not sure if that was ever practiced in 🇺🇸

·
Registered
1990 560SEC, 129,00 miles, in good shape, starting to do some small mods-steering wheel, exhaust
970 Posts
This talk of a spare brings back memories of a trip to the tire store a long time ago....I come from the 2 tire world, every time I or anyone I knew, father, brother, sister, or friend need new tires they always got 2 new ones. You took the old tires off the front, put them on the back and the 2 new tires went on the front, that was how it was done.

This trip I guess the tire sales guy was having a slow day and wanted to mess with someone, I ask for my usual 2 tires and the guy said ok but you know you can get 4 new tires don't you. I said "No, no way man, are you crazy, stop messing with me." He said "Hey is ok I'm not kidding you really can get 4 new tires.

I needed more info "How can you do it, I've never seen anyone get anything but 2 tires?" He said "This is how we do it, we sell you 2 tires on the invoice and 2 more tires on a invoice a few numbers down from your first invoice. Then when the guys install then they do the fronts like usual but then go work on another car for awhile and then come back later to put 2 new tires on the back instead of the used fronts, most 2 tire world guys don't pay much attention to what we are doing and miss it." It was a little mind blowing to have your world view blown up, but after thinking about it and for once having enough money to cover it I said ok.

Now it really must have been a slow day, as I was waiting for the install to complete the guy said "Hey man, do you really want another mind blower, you can get 5 new tires. This was too much "How is that possible a car only has 4 wheels?" The guy said "That's true the 5th tire is your spare!!!!"

"No man you can't be serious, a spare is a old crappy tire most likely low on air if not flat, how can anyone in their right mind put a brand new tire in the trunk, how is that possible?"

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
103 Posts
This talk of a spare brings back memories of a trip to the tire store a long time ago....I come from the 2 tire world, every time I or anyone I knew, father, brother, sister, or friend need new tires they always got 2 new ones. You took the old tires off the front, put them on the back and the 2 new tires went on the front, that was how it was done.

This trip I guess the tire sales guy was having a slow day and wanted to mess with someone, I ask for my usual 2 tires and the guy said ok but you know you can get 4 new tires don't you. I said "No, no way man, are you crazy, stop messing with me." He said "Hey is ok I'm not kidding you really can get 4 new tires.

I needed more info "How can you do it, I've never seen anyone get anything but 2 tires?" He said "This is how we do it, we sell you 2 tires on the invoice and 2 more tires on a invoice a few numbers down from your first invoice. Then when the guys install then they do the fronts like usual but then go work on another car for awhile and then come back later to put 2 new tires on the back instead of the used fronts, most 2 tire world guys don't pay much attention to what we are doing and miss it." It was a little mind blowing to have your world view blown up, but after thinking about it and for once having enough money to cover it I said ok.

Now it really must have been a slow day, as I was waiting for the install to complete the guy said "Hey man, do you really want another mind blower, you can get 5 new tires. This was too much "How is that possible a car only has 4 wheels?" The guy said "That's true the 5th tire is your spare!!!!"

"No man you can't be serious, a spare is a old crappy tire most likely low on air if not flat, how can anyone in their right mind put a brand new tire in the trunk, how is that possible?"
Did you leave the tire store only to have your mind blown again at the gas station when the attendant offered to fill the WHOLE fuel tank, too? Did he offer to clean BOTH sides of your windshield?

:LOL:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A kid down the road has had a damned donut on his Civic for six months. He just keeps filling it. I am amazed it hasn't fallen apart by now. His parents drive a Land Cruiser and a Camara.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts