Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the car parked and the engine off, when I jimmy the wheel I hear a horrible klonk coming from under the engine, in what sounds like the area of the steering box.
There's also play in the steering wheel, but oddly enough only when steering right, not left.

I'm pressty sure it does not emanate from the ball joints of the wheel carrieres (they're new) or the wheel sides of the steering rods.

I will check the ball joints on the pitman arm, but could it be the steering box itself ? Are these prone to failure ? The car has only about 80 K miles.
There's no oil leaks, anbd there IS oil in the hydraulic system.

If it were a Land Rover it would be easy : no leaks = no oil. This car is somewhat more complicated.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,509 Posts
If it's a noticeable clunk at low speed over ruts it could be the ball joints (upper and/or lower) or the horizontal drag link or the rods that run towards the firewall and attach to the body (I forget what they are called). This is what I was told when I asked about my "clunk". Don't know about the steering though. I'll be interested to hear.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
Wouldn't have thought the steering box would have worn by those miles. They get more vague but never heard of clonking.

You're not having too much luck with this car are you. How annoying. Hope its giving you some pleasure in the meantime.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
The rods that tie into the frame at the firewall(under car) are referred to as Guide rods., and They can be bad(bushings), but usually heard, as Ian says, over bumps and upon braking. Don't know if you could hear a clunk setting still, but it seems possible.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,509 Posts
Do 126's have a coupler on the steering column? My 107 made a clunk in the steering until I replaced it.

·
Registered
1990 R129
75 Posts
This really sounds like your steering box clunk. It makes the noise when the engine is off, and you move the steering wheel though it's "play" (tires pointed straight).
You are probably getting a lot of play here, and it should only be about 1 or 2 inches of play. Tighten the steering box play and it should reduce that clonking and tighten your steering quite a bit.
Just remember to tighten the adjuster, you back it out, instead of screwing it in as you would on an American car.

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll try that first, since it's the 'easy fix'.

Pete

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
Hi all I get a clunk when backing up and turning the wheel found the bushing support rusted and cracked ,this one is on the drivers side just in front of the guide rod, doesn't. Anyone sell a replacement part for this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts