Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horns om my '86 560SL don't work. The fuse is good and there is power at the fuse. I believe the problem lies in the steering wheel pad.
The SRS warning light flickers occasionally when I turn the wheel. I am thinking this points to the slip rings as the likely culprit for both problems.
Comments / advice requested.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Yep. I'd say you're gonna have to take the steering wheel apart and see what's going on.

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
Re: the horns,
MB put these things in a position to get wet in bad weather and both contacts and internals corrode. I ended up having to replace mine in my '87 560SL because of this.

First, clean the contacts at the horns; try activating from steering wheel pad

If unsuccessful, try connecting 12v line directly to the horn contacts

If this doesn't work, then either the horns are shot ($50 to replace) or the contact ring in the steering wheel is faulty.

Good luck-

Bob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Check the horns first by disconnecting the wires at the horns and hooking a battery to them (one terminal positive, one negative). I bet both horns are bad (it can happen, trust me). If they don't work, they can draw a lot of juice. Like SunGuy61 said, they are in a bad spot.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, you fellows were right.
The horns themselves are bad. I put 12v directly across them - not a peep.

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
Well, the good news is, this is a component that won't break the bank to buy/install.

Bob

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking of buying musical horns that play "La Cucaracha" and other timeless favorites. Add a bit of class to my ride, you know.

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
That was a big think in Italy during the 60s on a Alfa Romeo or Fiat,not so sure how much class that adds today on a Benz.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
dugald said:
I am thinking of buying musical horns that play "La Cucaracha" and other timeless favorites. Add a bit of class to my ride, you know.
Canadian Tire sells a nice A-OOGA horn for about $40.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Nobby

Another example of how we are disadvantaged when it comes to buying parts. Canadian price for 2 horns C$93. American price US$45.
For me it's no big deal. I just get them drop shipped across the border and pick them up.

·
29,682 Posts
dugald said:
Hey Nobby

Another example of how we are disadvantaged when it comes to buying parts. Canadian price for 2 horns C$93. American price US$45.
For me it's no big deal. I just get them drop shipped across the border and pick them up.
That is one example. There are other examples where it is quite the reverse.

I am, personally, quite impatient when I am in the middle of something. If I long term plan, I have no problem waiting or shopping for a good deal but if I need it now I am willing to pay extra not to wait.

I still think the A-OOGA horn would be cool. The benz horns sound like a glorified Civic.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes a bit of whismy would be good. Maybe a wolf whistle? I'll take a look at off the shelf horns today to see if I can fit one w/o having to fab a bracket.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frugality overcame frivolity.
I bought a pair of plain old hi/lo tone horns at the local auto supply store for C$20 ea Nobby's A-OOGA horn goes for $60 and would need some new bracketry. Heck, I only blow my horn maybe twice a year.

BTW, GermanStar sells OEM Bosch horns for US$12.50 ea. Good deal compared to others.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
dugald said:
Heck, I only blow my horn maybe twice a year.
When the top is down...beneath every underpass (flyover/UK).

·
29,682 Posts
dugald said:
Heck, I only blow my horn maybe twice a year.
Really? Lucky for us, it happened right here at BENZWORLD.

·
29,682 Posts
BenzToy said:
Let it go nobby, let it go.;)

What? What did I do?

All in good fun.

Too much serious shit in real life. I am not bringing it here.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My neighbour has 2 Model A Fords, the original users of Nobby's A-OOGA horn. You can hear him 1/2 mile away. He blows it to warn people he has no brakes to speak of...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts