Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbo Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site but have been wondering about how difficult it may be to keep my Mercedes Benz on the road. My husband was a Benz tech and passed away 3 years ago. I have been fortunate enough that the car has not needed much work, but am concerned for how difficult and costly this may become in the future. My husband did mention that he would one day need to rebuild the transmission. It is a 99 E 300 Turbo Diesel at 148 thousand miles. I don't want to go back to the dealer where he worked and would appreciate any input on this subject. I would be willing to go to a Benz dealer in Doylestown which is not far from my home for the major work, with my regular mechanic doing the little things. Any input on this would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!! :)

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Sorry to hear about your husband.

Your husband had a nice taste in choosing one of the most well made Mercedes ever. Your car considered very well made and requires very low maintenance.

I would just keep up with Fuel filter changes, engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter every 70k, tires, brakes and if anything else appearers wrong, please post it here and we will be more than glad to help you with trouble shooting before you go to your mechanic which makes life so much easier. At 148k, a lot of life still left on your car. Don't be worry about the transmission yet, as mechanics sometimes we get too worry about our cars specially when our family members drives it. Please also remember to change you car description from 1999 E300 to 1999 E300 Turbo Diesel so we will not mix it up with gasoline engine.

Take care.

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbo Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about your husband.

Your husband had a nice taste in choosing one of the most well made Mercedes ever. Your car considered very well made and requires very low maintenance.

I would just keep up with Fuel filter changes, engine oil and filter, transmission oil and filter every 70k, tires, brakes and if anything else appearers wrong, please post it here and we will be more than glad to help you with trouble shooting before you go to your mechanic which makes life so much easier. At 148k, a lot of life still left on your car. Don't be worry about the transmission yet, as mechanics sometimes we get too worry about our cars specially when our family members drives it. Please also remember to change you car description from 1999 E300 to 1999 E300 Turbo Diesel so we will not mix it up with gasoline engine.

Take care.
Thank you so much for your kindness.

I have to thank you so much. I never would have thought to check the fuel filters and have them changed. I feel so much better knowing this car will probably last me for a long while. I know that Benzes are reliable cars and I couldn't go out and buy another one yet. I appreciate your kindness and offer that if I have anymore questions, and I will, I can ask someone on this forum. Once I again I thank you.

Theresa

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
Unless your transmission is presenting problems I wouldn't even worry about it right now. Just have it serviced regularly. There are plenty of w210s out there on 300,000+ miles on them with the original (never rebuilt) transmission.

Just make sure you drive it :)...they stay happiest with regular exercise.

·
Registered
1999 E300 Turbo Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless your transmission is presenting problems I wouldn't even worry about it right now. Just have it serviced regularly. There are plenty of w210s out there on 300,000+ miles on them with the original (never rebuilt) transmission.

Just make sure you drive it :)...they stay happiest with regular exercise.
That is great news to hear. Just in case I ever do need the Transmission rebuilt at a dealer, do you have any idea how much this might cost? Thank you.
Theresa

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
That is great news to hear. Just in case I ever do need the Transmission rebuilt at a dealer, do you have any idea how much this might cost? Thank you.
Theresa
Rarely these transmissions requires to be rebuilt. However, I have seen couple of members managed to have their transmission rebuilt around 2-3k at local transmission shops. Going to dealer for transmission is the most expensive choice since rebuild transmission I heard is about 5k. A lot of times although problems appear to be very severe but the solutions are so simple and inexpensive. If you have any problems with your transmission, post the details and we will do our best to help you with what the problem may be. If there are no problems, I will not be worry about it. Most of these cars runs for ever without anyone do anything to transmission other that regular maintenance (oil, filter, transmission plug $20) I am sure if there were any problems with the transmission needed immediate attention, your husband would have addressed it. At the mean time, enjoy your car and thank you for your kind words.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Eagleone. Dealers will not rebuild transmissions and a factory rebuilt from MB is at least the $5000 he mentioned.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Please add my welcome and condolences on the loss of your husband.

With routine maintenance and the observation of the inspections and fluid changes in the A and B service lists (including that transmission so often omitted since it was originally marketed as maintenance free) you can expect good service from your car.

Many here are not fans of dealer service bays and find good independent mechanics on whom we can rely (most of whom are former dealer techs who were fed up with that way of doing business). If you can find a good indie, that's the path I'd suggest.

I do agree on regular service intervals for the transmission, 70K is a good average number for that service. You are at 148,000 miles and if that hasn't been done since you lost your husband, I think it's past-due. A good indie transmission shop (not one of the national chains) that works on MBs would be an appropriate choice for this task. Have them check the plug/adapter/spacer/pilot bushing on the front at the same time and replace it if there are signs of it leaking into the harness connector. This is an inexpensive part (you could actually buy it online and take it in, a Dodge dealer sells them on Amazon for about ten bucks) and the labor to change it should not be much more than $25 since they are already under there working next to it; at that point it is a five-minute job.

If you'd like to know more about your transmission, there is a very good FAQ thread in the help/diy stickies atop this forum. It will either be mildly interesting to you or provide a good counter to any insomnia. ;)

If it's been a while since you had the car in, having a "B" service done at an indy shop should not be awfully expensive and it will include inspecting some things that may have been neglected. I would specifically ask the shop to look at the flex discs on the propeller (drive) shaft as that isn't part of the regular inspection process.

Please do feel free to ask any further questions or express concerns, we're here to help as best we can.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
...If it's been a while since you had the car in, having a "B" service done at an indy shop should not be awfully expensive and it will include inspecting some things that may have been neglected. I would specifically ask the shop to look at the flex discs on the propeller (drive) shaft as that isn't part of the regular inspection process...
Wow, I didn't realize they don't check the flex discs. Thanks for the heads up Greg.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
By the way, I remembered that I did not mention anything about "Air Filter". It is important to keep up with changing the air filter regularly every 20k which is specially important for your car's type of engine. Most of us normally buy our parts from autohausAZ.com , price is very competitive and is free shipping on purchases over $50. If you have not changed it allready, next time that you go for oil change, just hand one to your mechanic, takes couple of min to change (so they will not use inferior filters on the car) Using alternate brand parts does not do well with these cars. Here is the link to the filter. You see, members of this forum are always here to help and nothing to be worry about. :)

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=u3xku055ikq0ri45vln2y5yu&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=1999&[email protected]&[email protected] Filter

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize they don't check the flex discs. Thanks for the heads up Greg.
The flex discs are not included on an A or B service and are rather inspected at set mileage intervals. This inspection is "supposed" to be done at the lettered service that most closely precedes that mileage interval. Since it sounds like it's been a while since her car has been in for a lettered service, and who would know if/when the discs were last inspected, I thought it wise to have them look at them. For a B service it's going to be on the rack anyway, so there shouldn't even be an extra charge for it.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
The flex discs are not included on an A or B service and are rather inspected at set mileage intervals. This inspection is "supposed" to be done at the lettered service that most closely precedes that mileage interval. Since it sounds like it's been a while since her car has been in for a lettered service, and who would know if/when the discs were last inspected, I thought it wise to have them look at them. For a B service it's going to be on the rack anyway, so there shouldn't even be an extra charge for it.
Absolutely good advice on those. I'm going to request that at my next "B" service at 100,000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts