Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 e320 4MATIC Wagon. I wanted to run a cooler in the trunk (boot); however, it looks like the 12V socket I have in the back isn't hooked up. I do have the socket there, but when I open up the spare wheel compartment, I see no wires running into the 12V socket. I find it strange that the socket is there, but the wires aren't ... can anyone help? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I would get a flash light and see if you can find a white plastic connector that maybe was disconnected. In the worst case you could run a wire(s) from that jack to the battery, it should be a "L" shaped plug which has female spade connectors. The normal jack is switched

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It Works

Thanks for the tip! Sure enough, I looked more carefully and there was a wire that was disconnected and was hidden by the spare tire.

A follow up question, it looks like the socket isn't always-on. In other words, if I remove the key, there is no power to the socket. Is this correct?

Is there a way to make the socket always on? (Not sure if I want the always-on behavior, but the cooler might not be very useful if it can only run when the key is inserted).

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I have always agonized over that, it is great when you drive but when you want it on and not driving it is a problem. I would get the adapter so when you go into a motel you plug it into an outlet. You have to remember it draws about 6 amps, at least mine does (large). I purchased another outlet and was going to install it on the other side and wire it to the battery, do it on top where the cup holder is otherwise it will stick out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts