Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is bizarre. I just opened up the hood to remove the headlight to install LED bulbs. Now, the hood closes but won't secure into the latch. Every post I've searched talks about unable to open the hood but I am not able to latch the hood. The lever under the emblem works smoothly after spraying some lube. Right now the only thing hold down the hood is the hook from the hood securing itself underneath the cross member that holds the radiator.

I believe the latch assembly is working fine. I can manually, push the latch in by pushing it to the right using a screwdriver, and it comes up when i pull on the lever in the cabin. I also hear a "ding" so i am pretty sure that the latch is not stuck in some closed position preventing the hood's U from securing itself into the latch.
I looked to see if I left anything in the engine bay that may be preventing the hood from coming down all the way, I can't seem to find anything. So totally puzzled as to why the hood is not securing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts as to what might have caused this? It was working fine till today. Also had the hood open a few times earlier, and also for the lost time when pulling a vacuum for the AC. These are the only "out of the ordinary" things i can think of.

Any ideas - please?

Thanks.

W163 and General Mercedes Gremlin
Ok, this is bizarre. I just opened up the hood to remove the headlight to install LED bulbs. Now, the hood closes but won't secure into the latch. Every post I've searched talks about unable to open the hood but I am not able to latch the hood. The lever under the emblem works smoothly after spraying some lube. Right now the only thing hold down the hood is the hook from the hood securing itself underneath the cross member that holds the radiator.

I believe the latch assembly is working fine. I can manually, push the latch in by pushing it to the right using a screwdriver, and it comes up when i pull on the lever in the cabin. I also hear a "ding" so i am pretty sure that the latch is not stuck in some closed position preventing the hood's U from securing itself into the latch.
I looked to see if I left anything in the engine bay that may be preventing the hood from coming down all the way, I can't seem to find anything. So totally puzzled as to why the hood is not securing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any thoughts as to what might have caused this? It was working fine till today. Also had the hood open a few times earlier, and also for the lost time when pulling a vacuum for the AC. These are the only "out of the ordinary" things i can think of.

Any ideas - please?

Thanks.
Perhaps the lock latch mechanism is gunked up with grime?
Give it a good dose of brake cleaner (careful with it on paint surfaces) and then a good penetrant (ie. wd40 is fine) to loosen it up.

Using the community search at the top of your page, you get this:

Premium Member
1999 ML430
Should be a pretty simple fix......gravity is your friend with the early W163's....does it have hood struts ?

Perhaps while working on the engine you set something under the hood that is preventing it from closing........

Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I did search and find that one thread, however, it was not clear what is left/right and did something similar with a screwdriver where the latch does move to the driver side when pushed with a screwdriver (which I think is what would happen when the U from the hood comes into it), and it moves to the passenger side when i pull the cable from the cabin.

I did spray with PB blaster first at the latch and then the spring mechanism, which loosened the lever nicely under the emblem. Then i sprayed with garage door lube, which is oil based and keeps parts lubricated.

My next step is to put a camera in the engine bay and see what happens. I don't believe I left anything behind that might be blocking but will check.

Thanks again for your quick replies.

Best,
Maneesh

Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
Discussion Starter #5
so i sprayed the heck out of the latch with garage door lube. it worked. it always worked with a screw driver but I let gravity do the trick this time and it went into the latch. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: khomer2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts