Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult of a job is it to replace the hood structs? Anyone did it...my ML500 2004 does not hood the hood up

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Super Easy...5 minute job. There is a metal clip that is built into the end of the strut..use a small flat head screwdriver to pull the clip enough to allow you to pop it off the 'ball.' Just be sure you can hold up the hood or have a helper as when you take one side off...if you were to let go the hood would drop down on the one side...I believe I cut a piece of wood that I used to prop the hood up in the channel that the fender is bolted down in.

·
Registered
99 White ML320, 13 Audi S5,84 300ZX Turbo, 03 Audi A4, 03 Audi TT, 65 Ford Galaxie Conv
474 Posts
Agree, although my experience is from my Audi as my lowly 99 320 doesn't have struts. Anyway, I had some trouble with the Audi and decided to figure out how the attachment worked with the new uninstalled strut. Once I figured it out, it was a snap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't recall if you had to pull the clip to put the new one on...I think it is beveled in a way that just allows you to snap it on. Also...make sure you pay attention to 'top' 'bottom' of the strut.

·
Registered
2004 ml500
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you so much for the replies ... the autoscope stealership quoted me 10k to get my ml500 in top shape ..so I am going to try and do most of them as i find time....will try to take pics as I do them..
Which is the best place to buy new structs .. autozone/orielly?

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
I ordered mine on Fleabay 2 years ago...still very firm. I think I paid $80 shipped for both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts