Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today as i was trying to open my hood, i noticed the latch was in the first gap of the hood. When i pulled it, the angle was really horrible... where does the latch suppose to be sticking out from? The first or second gap from the top of the hood?

I've finally been able to open the hood (with a lot of time and risk of breaking the grill), but need to fix this immediately incase something ever goes wrong on the road. Does anyone know how to replace these handles? I've searched the forum, surprisingly no one's posted about it.

Thanks in advance :bowdown:
Raw

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
First time I've heard of it, so apparently it's not common.

The grill is held in with like 6 screws, five minutes to pull it. Then you can close the hood and see how the release latch looks. Mine comes through on the second vane, so perhaps something broke on yours, which you'll see easily enough if you pull the grill.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1999 E320
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First time I've heard of it, so apparently it's not common.

The grill is held in with like 6 screws, five minutes to pull it. Then you can close the hood and see how the release latch looks. Mine comes through on the second vane, so perhaps something broke on yours, which you'll see easily enough if you pull the grill.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
thanks for the quick response Greg, will go out and fix it.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The plastic pull tab for the hood/grill latch (the part that comes out thru the grill) is like a $6 dealer part, easy to replace if bent or broken.

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
75 Posts
Just wondering if the plastic release handle on the W210 E320 MBenz 96 has a post that goes through the end with a thin spring wire and a little ":C" keeper ring. I think my POST on my hood latch may have broke in half??? I tried to find a.diagram or pictures but none show a close up describes how it is attached with wire spring and the C shaped keeper??? Any information is greatly appreciated thanks RayW210

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Just wondering if the plastic release handle on the W210 E320 MBenz 96 has a post that goes through the end with a thin spring wire and a little ":C" keeper ring. I think my POST on my hood latch may have broke in half??? I tried to find a.diagram or pictures but none show a close up describes how it is attached with wire spring and the C shaped keeper??? Any information is greatly appreciated thanks RayW210
Please be more clear in your description.
Are you focusing on the hood release catch at the hood?
There is also hood release latch/handle in the cabin, under the DS dash by the SC.

hood release levers w210.jpg

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
75 Posts
Sorry failed say the front.grill area under the hood said to be a easy replacement but looks like the end with 2 holes 1 on each side need some type of Post with a wire spring and the C shaped keeper right??? Post.appears to need to be 1/:2 inch attached to the hood latch right??? Any close up picture drawing or diagram is appreciated thanks RayW210

·
Registered
96 E320 W210 MBENZ
75 Posts
Took these pictures of parts I have even put little 1/4 POST piece (with tiny hole through it possible broken off piece from hood latch which has about 1/8 still attached)placed it in hole last picture. RayW210

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,883 Posts
The piece with the hole broke off the metal latch assembly. The metal bracket latch assembly needs to be replaced unless you can reattached it.....which I think is doubtful.

EDIT: Just looked at the one on my 1999 E 320. It's made out of plastic whereas the one on my W208 is steel. You can try using a screw and nut to put it pack together.

If it was me, I would just go to a Pick and Pull and get another one as Komer2 suggested.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I would go find a replacement at the local pickn pull. There are plenty of these w210s around and I would think (dont hold me to it) other models may be using the same component.

Photo 2020-05-22, 10 52 57 AM.png Photo 2020-05-22, 10 54 57 AM.png

1 - 10 of 10 Posts