Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the original hood pad a foam waffle like pad or something differnt.
on the various parts site sometimes it pulls up one that has a rectangular cut out of tin foil or something, .........not sure which is correct version

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
The original pads have the waffle pattern. I think all the aftermarket pads are smooth. The ones with the metal piece are for the diesels.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,140 Posts
I got mine from the dealer and its not like the waffle at all. Smooth and has the metal cut out. Thats for a petrol 420.

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
The OEM pad I got does have the pattern. Yours is the first MB one I've heard of or seen that didn't. Maybe they changed. The aftermarket pad that I got was smooth and made of a slightly different material. That pad with the metal reflector is definitely for a diesel. It's for the turbo.

Edit: Now that I think about it I've never seen a car with the smooth pad other than mine. I'm not that sure about the diesel pads. Maybe they're smooth from MB?

·
Registered
320Cdi 560SEL S500
175 Posts
I bought my replacement direct from the dealership a couple of years ago using my chassis number - they gave me a smooth version with the foil square.

I did wonder why the new one had the foil and the old one didn't, and it wasn't obvious what the foil was relating to under my bonnet - now I know why!

I do find it strange being supplied this version for a diesel when they had my chassis number!?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,140 Posts
I thought the foil corresponded to being above the coolant expansion tank? On our right handed cars anyway.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I got an OEM one last month to use as a template for the custom ones I had made and they were waffle. The original one on my car was waffle too and the replacement matched perfectly.

The replacement I had made was of closed cell foam used in aircraft and racing cars.

·
Registered
320Cdi 560SEL S500
175 Posts
I thought the foil corresponded to being above the coolant expansion tank? On our right handed cars anyway.
It is a bizarre thing! - Mine is further back from the expansion tank, but is on the drivers side near the fire wall situated over the manifold/header area.

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Having recently purchased hood pads for both the sedan and coupe they were different. The sedan is a more dense, felt covered pad with aluminum patch and the coupe is a cheaper low density waffle pad. I prefer the sedan style personally.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so sounds like either way it doesnt matter which one i have,
which works better? felt with foil or foam?

is the application method the same ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts