Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,433 Posts
That video was just posted today -- talk about timely...

My new pad looks like that one -- foam on the bonnet side with a shiny layer that goes engine side. Strange cut-outs, and a little V-notch at top centre. I got mine from ExoParts, just listed as "OEM".

Seems Weldwood isn't available in Canada anymore (aside from sketchy Amazon sellers) due to environmental concerns... so it must really work!
Look at nobbys soft top thread and see what he used. Or just purchase it from the sketchy Amazon seller. :)

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
575 Posts
Finally found time (and a friend) to help with the hood install. I opted to remove the hood entirely since I had helping hands (and I saw no way of getting the lower pad on otherwise). I used an entire can of 3M 90 (since the other stuff was proving difficult to source in Canada) and used a plastic trim tool to tuck the foam under the metal along the front to prevent wind from getting all up in there. The 3M 90 sprays very precisely so my fears of overspray were largely unfounded (although I did mask off a few tricky areas just to be safe). It seems stuck for the ages at the moment, but I suppose time will tell.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
61 Posts
Finally found time (and a friend) to help with the hood install. I opted to remove the hood entirely since I had helping hands (and I saw no way of getting the lower pad on otherwise). I used an entire can of 3M 90 (since the other stuff was proving difficult to source in Canada) and used a plastic trim tool to tuck the foam under the metal along the front to prevent wind from getting all up in there. The 3M 90 sprays very precisely so my fears of overspray were largely unfounded (although I did mask off a few tricky areas just to be safe). It seems stuck for the ages at the moment, but I suppose time will tell.
I removed the hood as well, simply because I hate working up under if there is an option and gravity is not a friend when dealing with contact cement and a big pad. It weighs about five pounds! I work alone so two hands are about three short for negotiating something like that into perfect position. Removing the hood took all of five minutes while using every security protection to prevent a scratch and about ten to put it back on! It was ever so much better to remove all traces of glue and foam and be able to test position then put adhesive on with the leading edge rolled back, then set, the remaining pad was then glued as well and tucked under all the raised metal. I used the 3M yellow 08090 and used the whole can, but it looks great. I thought I had ordered the rear section as well after searching everywhere only to find the other piece is just a different manufacturer of the front, so a return is under way. The hood surface is notably cooler even after a twenty minute shut down which was my concern as I could imagine seeing the beautiful red paint discolor from cooking!

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
61 Posts
I see 4 pads on pelican, MB, OEM which seems to be the same as the MB but less than half the price, Meyle and GK. Meyle and GK might be ok but they chose the worst photo and the wrinkles and whatnot just turns me away.

Anyways, wondering which one you picked up? curious to see if anyone has an opinion on these new ones as it seems the consensus is the quality dropped a while back. If anyone has gotten one of the 3 besides the MB and can compare to either the original MB one that people on here have said was really good before the quality drop or the new MB one. Really undecided which to go with and I’d love for this to hold for as long as possible. Not a job I want to do again for a long time.
I thought I ordered one front and a rear pad. Turns out they were both fronts from different manufacturers, The picture showed a square and a rectangular so one goes back. The two pads are amazingly close in construction, almost identical except a minor tactile feel of the exposed surface. There was about a ten dollar difference in price between the two and either on would be fine to use, I put one on and am sending the other back, without a rear pad, then on to the next project! The rear section is all clean and ready if I ever find the pad.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts