Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,685 Posts
I used the one from autohausaz on my 380SL and 3M spray on adhesive.
I used that basic 3M 90 spray adhesive once and the pad fell off after a short while. 3M 08090 is the one that stands the temperatures.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
846 Posts
I've also read good reviews on Wurth brand adhesive with the brush. I would be tempted to try it; anything they offer is high quality. If you've had success with 3M 08090, might as well stick with it.

·
Premium Member
11,685 Posts
I've also read good reviews on Wurth brand adhesive with the brush. I would be tempted to try it; anything they offer is high quality. If you've had success with 3M 08090, might as well stick with it.
It wouldn't be surprising if the Mercedes adhesive is made by Wurth. This looks good and the price seems OK:

( Mercedes product could be compared by looking at the SDS. This is a link to the Wurth SDS. - Couldn't find SDS for the Mercedes product. Should be on can or come with it.)

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
(y)(y)

That's the one that really works. Not cheap, except when compared with that MB stuff :) I can see Pierre using it. He gets to pay wholesale price and then can charge it in customers bill. But we can't do that!

By the way, that Mercedes adhesive can't apparently be shipped by Fedex/UPS so you have to pick it up at a dealer!

I used two spray cans of 3M 08090 for two hood pads. Applied about 3 thin coats to each side in criss-cross pattern. I removed hoods to do this. Never came loose! Still on the SL after 14-15 years. Took forever to remove it from my W123. Didn't come loose, just disintegrated.

You can take short cuts with cleaning and installation, but sometimes those don't work out :)

Hod can be cleaned in place. But installation while horizontal is better. Adhesive doesn't sag and you can (with a helper) position it more easily. Believe me, I have done it both ways ;) You can get then a roller and make sure the pad is fully ahhered.

My W123 hood-scrape :

First pass with plastic ice scraper

2nd pass with various smaller scrapers.
Glue left on where fully adhered because new 8090 will stick to it.

No new pad yet, so hood still on!
O’Reilly auto has the 08090 in a 24 oz spray for 25.99

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
The rear seal shown below is PN 107 880 00 97. Is this the one you need? I picked one up on eBay last year for $38 plus shipping. I’ve heard of issues with fit on some, but I didn’t have any problems with the one I purchased. I checked the seller I used, and they didn’t have any currently.
View attachment 2689377
View attachment 2689378
Edit: You’re right, they seem to be a little scarce now. I did find some with just a couple of minutes of poking around, but they’ve gotten kind of pricey. The MBUSA site shows it for $51 though, which isn’t too bad.
I saw that listed and was unavailable, I ordered the front and rear pads through Pelican, I am still unsure if there is a rubber or plastic piece that separates the forward and aft sections there are holes like fasteners attached.
It seems to exist along the support bar

·
Premium Member
11,685 Posts
O’Reilly auto has the 08090 in a 24 oz spray for 25.99
I think I paid less than that in C$ when I bought mine 14 years ago! Now it is C$45-C$50 here :( If I needed some, I might look for alternatives.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
75 Posts
I am still unsure if there is a rubber or plastic piece that separates the forward and aft sections there are holes like fasteners attached.
I’m not aware of any piece that separates the two sections, but my car did not have the pads when I purchased it. When looking at photos of installed pads on other cars, I didn’t see any other pieces that separate the pads. Maybe someone else here can chime in on that to confirm.

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
329 Posts
I saw that listed and was unavailable, I ordered the front and rear pads through Pelican, I am still unsure if there is a rubber or plastic piece that separates the forward and aft sections there are holes like fasteners attached.
View attachment 2689568
I see 4 pads on pelican, MB, OEM which seems to be the same as the MB but less than half the price, Meyle and GK. Meyle and GK might be ok but they chose the worst photo and the wrinkles and whatnot just turns me away.

Anyways, wondering which one you picked up? curious to see if anyone has an opinion on these new ones as it seems the consensus is the quality dropped a while back. If anyone has gotten one of the 3 besides the MB and can compare to either the original MB one that people on here have said was really good before the quality drop or the new MB one. Really undecided which to go with and I’d love for this to hold for as long as possible. Not a job I want to do again for a long time.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
75 Posts
I struggled with which one to choose also. I ended up purchasing the GK through AutohausAZ last year. I can’t offer any info on comparison to the MB one, but I was pleased with the GK. No issues with wrinkles or fit.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,849 Posts
Mercedes Glue ... wow. Certainly there are other products just as good but less expensive.
I use this stuff. I use it at the recommendation of the Materials process engineer at Sikorsky Aircraft. At the time he said it was on the list of materials to remove from production due to its environmental issues. But they couldn't find anything environmentally friendly that worked. So I figured it must be good. Also I had trouble with it at first because I was installing it too wet. But after reading nobbys soft top install where he says go have a cigarette then come back and install it, I am now calibrated.

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
329 Posts
To back up Roncallo’s statement about the aircraft glue, my mechanic said they use aircraft glue also which I assume is this stuff or something similar. I like the idea of roll on due to not having to mask off my car for overspray. If doing it while still on the car I can’t imagine getting it perfect without overspray but maybe I’m just sloppy.

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
942 Posts
Accordingly to the video that Pierre Hedary made on installing the hood pad, you must consider that the Mercedes glue was only applied on the hood pad not on the hood, so that alone can make the installation process easier. After watching the video I still wasn't sure if by accident applying the glue to the hood was omitted, then I emailed Pierre and he confirmed only on the hood pad, not the hood. And Pierre's method of applying the glue to the Pad is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
In all honesty. I did have a can of the genuine MB stuff and it seemed to be the same stuff as Wellwood that you buy form Home Depot. One of the things i like about the Ply o bond is that it can be reactivated or thinned with MEK and reapplied.

·
Registered
R129 1997, VW Passat Wagon 3.6, Chrysler 300 1962, Fiat 850 spider 1973.
13 Posts
Yes there was a guy named Fred Johnson in Vegas who made the hood pad out aviation material. He use to sell the hood pad between $80-100 dollars but now someone else took over r129 motoring and there now selling between $200-300, the last time I looked. They had that big Mercedes star in the center of the hood pad and they offered one without. Now I think its just selling with the big star. I have one without the star on my 560SL and my r129, its been 6 yrs and still looks like new. The star IMO, is just to dam big.... Fred even made the hood pad that covered the narrow section of the hood down below and I recall a member here requisition it and between Fred and the member they develop it. I bought one for around $45.00 at the time.
I changed mine 3yrs ago and its still on, keep your Benz the way it was designed.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
In all honesty. I did have a can of the genuine MB stuff and it seemed to be the same stuff as Wellwood that you buy form Home Depot. One of the things i like about the Ply o bond is that it can be reactivated or thinned with MEK and reapplied.
This maybe?

ZZZ_2021_05-01_001.jpg

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
I see 4 pads on pelican, MB, OEM which seems to be the same as the MB but less than half the price, Meyle and GK. Meyle and GK might be ok but they chose the worst photo and the wrinkles and whatnot just turns me away.

Anyways, wondering which one you picked up? curious to see if anyone has an opinion on these new ones as it seems the consensus is the quality dropped a while back. If anyone has gotten one of the 3 besides the MB and can compare to either the original MB one that people on here have said was really good before the quality drop or the new MB one. Really undecided which to go with and I’d love for this to hold for as long as possible. Not a job I want to do again for a long time.
The hood pad is GK and the aft pad is OEM, will be two weeks for delivery due to the rear pad not behind in stock at the moment, the quality will then be known!

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
The hood pad in this how to looks like the original one. It even has the same pocket as the original one above the air cleaner. It also has a second pocket above the break booster which
I don't believe my original one has. Can anyone identify the source of this hood pad. also Note the Wellwood contact cement (blue can) MB Source sells.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
John, is that "Pocket" as in a past post you made where you insert your CREDIT CARD so the Mercedes Service Tech can max it out :)

Attachments

Reactions: roncallo

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
465 Posts
That video was just posted today -- talk about timely...

My new pad looks like that one -- foam on the bonnet side with a shiny layer that goes engine side. Strange cut-outs, and a little V-notch at top centre. I got mine from ExoParts, just listed as "OEM".

Seems Weldwood isn't available in Canada anymore (aside from sketchy Amazon sellers) due to environmental concerns... so it must really work!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts