Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
I am replacing the insulation as well, it seems it would be better to remove the hood to clean thoroughly and replace the insulation both front and back. There are two bolts for the pivots both sides and clips locking the spring assists. I don’t have any extra hands so I am thinking through this carefully, there are no scratches anywhere so I don’t want to create one! I don’t have a badge only the SRS info and AC coolant requirements, my top is black outside and beige inside. Anyone removed the hood solo?

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
172 Posts
I wouldn't remove the hood. I did this on my 190e in the driveway and it wasn't too bad. Just get a plastic scraper and a tarp to catch crumbs. Should take you a couple hours. You will need a helper to re-stick the new pad.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
I wouldn't remove the hood. I did this on my 190e in the driveway and it wasn't too bad. Just get a plastic scraper and a tarp to catch crumbs. Should take you a couple hours. You will need a helper to re-stick the new pad.
I tried scraping the adhesive remains and they came off better than expected, I thought they would be gummy but they were dry! I will continue to remove all the remnants and move to phase two. Entire engine bay is covered. The noise is not a factor but the idea of slowly baking flawless paint to death doesn't set well.

·
Registered
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
172 Posts
you don't have to get ALL of the glue off. Just get the foam removed and do the best you can. If you use the Mercedes glue it will stick just fine.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
you don't have to get ALL of the glue off. Just get the foam removed and do the best you can. If you use the Mercedes glue it will stick just fine.
How much is Mercedes glue?

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Mercedes Glue ... wow. Certainly there are other products just as good but less expensive.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
465 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL
75 Posts
I ordered the kit from MercedesSource last summer, and I’m pretty sure the adhesive they sent me was a Weldwood product. I wish I’d taken a photo of the can for posterity, but I remember thinking at the time that I’m sure I could have gotten it cheaper from my local Home Depot. I expected it to be something (miracle glue) they repackaged into a nondescript container, but it was a regular off-the-shelf quart can of contact adhesive.

I’m not complaining, it worked, and time will tell if it holds up well. Maybe the high cost of the kit was for the brush, plastic drop cloth, pair of blue nitrile gloves, and Lemonhead candy they included.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
829 Posts
This is what is what was under the hood when I opened it for the first time. Actually, it is likely pretty effective in dissipating heat. It looks like HVAC insulation. The outer layer is a reflective foil type material with an inner layer of dense foam, then another layer of foil. It almost makes me want to glue it back in place instead of installing the new MB pad. The cross section is visible in the second pic. I'm glad that the p/o replaced the original with something. The new MB pad is on standby.

·
Registered
1989 560 SL 86000 miles
42 Posts
The 107 actually has a hood pad, and separate seal that covers the second bulkhead. IMO it is very worthwhile to keep these in place. Quieter operation, heat shielded from causing damage to the exterior paint. The seal helps in keeping under hood smells from the passenger compartment, and probably assists in HVAC operation.
I am replacing both pads after studying what was available, seems the rear pad is a rare bird indeed anywhere aftermarket! I only found on source for the firewall seal and it was no longer available and the P/N tracks to a rear pad. An idea what the P/n is for the seal? Mine is missing altogether so I don't even know what it looks like.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
75 Posts
The rear seal shown below is PN 107 880 00 97. Is this the one you need? I picked one up on eBay last year for $38 plus shipping. I’ve heard of issues with fit on some, but I didn’t have any problems with the one I purchased. I checked the seller I used, and they didn’t have any currently.
5C6C3302-955C-4BA4-99C3-3BC7F7451826.png
02268F3A-59A2-4D65-ADF8-9A9F9C119CE9.jpeg
Edit: You’re right, they seem to be a little scarce now. I did find some with just a couple of minutes of poking around, but they’ve gotten kind of pricey. The MBUSA site shows it for $51 though, which isn’t too bad.

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
329 Posts
Do you by chance have a picture of it installed on your car? I’m probably being a little dense but I don’t really understand where it exactly fits and where that ridge goes. Wondering if the way my sprayer tubing is (looks not OEM and bulky) might get in the way and I don’t see any remnants of an old one.

·
Registered
1985 380SL
75 Posts
Sorry, this isn’t the best picture, but I’m not with the car at the moment. This pic is from when I installed the pads last year. If you can zoom in to the back of the hood, hopeful there’s enough detail there to give you an idea. The raised part of the insulation follows the contour of the blower area, and the pad sits in the area behind the crossmember on the hood.
71E18A1F-6907-4126-854B-5CF3DDA7E113.jpeg

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
329 Posts
that’s perfect, and it looks like your tubing is somewhat close to how mine looks so I think it will fit just fine on my car. Appreciate the pic and explanation. I need to replace both of mine too and luckily I have a wife who doesn’t complain too much when I ask for a little help. I know she secretly likes to be included in my love affair ;)

·
Registered
1983 380SL, 1986 560SL
388 Posts
I used the one from autohausaz on my 380SL and 3M spray on adhesive. It has been holding good for about 5 years! I have ordered one for the 560SL and plan to install it once I get it running right.

GK Hood Insulation Pad
P/N: 1076820326

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,685 Posts
I have a can of 3M 08090 all ready to go.
(y)(y)

That's the one that really works. Not cheap, except when compared with that MB stuff :) I can see Pierre using it. He gets to pay wholesale price and then can charge it in customers bill. But we can't do that!

By the way, that Mercedes adhesive can't apparently be shipped by Fedex/UPS so you have to pick it up at a dealer!

I used two spray cans of 3M 08090 for two hood pads. Applied about 3 thin coats to each side in criss-cross pattern. I removed hoods to do this. Never came loose! Still on the SL after 14-15 years. Took forever to remove it from my W123. Didn't come loose, just disintegrated.

You can take short cuts with cleaning and installation, but sometimes those don't work out :)

Hod can be cleaned in place. But installation while horizontal is better. Adhesive doesn't sag and you can (with a helper) position it more easily. Believe me, I have done it both ways ;) You can get then a roller and make sure the pad is fully ahhered.

My W123 hood-scrape :

First pass with plastic ice scraper

2nd pass with various smaller scrapers.
Glue left on where fully adhered because new 8090 will stick to it.

No new pad yet, so hood still on!

·
Registered
1987 300SL
955 Posts
That's the one that really works. Not cheap, except when compared with that MB stuff :) I can see Pierre using it. He gets to pay wholesale price and then can charge it in customers bill. But we can't do that!

I used two spray cans of 3M 08090 for two hood pads. Applied about 3 thin coats to each side in criss-cross pattern. I removed hoods to do this. Never came loose! Still on the SL after many years. Took forever to remove it from my W123.
And if you're going to use spray adhesive, definitely remove the hood/bonnet and do the pad install well away from the car. I've read plenty that have ended up with a big clean up job removing the spray residue off their car afterwards. It's one of the reasons I used a cheap foam roller. The other was better glue application

41 - 60 of 82 Posts