Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Totally disappointed with the hood pads available from MB these days. My stock 560SL has its original hood pad. Its made of a different material and still in tack, but does need the back seal replaced. Samson had its hood pad replaced 14 years ago with that cheep foam genuine MB replacement and is now totally disintegrated.
... and we're always dissing poor old URO :)

Reactions: roncallo

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,738 Posts
Keep it. Besides acting as a noise insulator, it helps seal the engine bay against water ingress and dirt. It's actually vital on any Merc with a second bulkhead. W201, 124, 202 etc.
The 107 actually has a hood pad, and separate seal that covers the second bulkhead. IMO it is very worthwhile to keep these in place. Quieter operation, heat shielded from causing damage to the exterior paint. The seal helps in keeping under hood smells from the passenger compartment, and probably assists in HVAC operation.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,014 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my 1979 still has the original pad which seems to be made of densely packed horse hair, coated with a black plastic membrane. At least that's what I recall last time I looked at it 😅

EDIT: Agree with Roncallos post above which I didn't see until I posted my reply. Defo some sort of thick fiber.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
11,947 Posts
Whatever was on my 560 would disintegrate to dust when touched. No idea if it was original.
I replaced the pads on both my 350SL and 300D at about the same time about 15 years ago.

The diesel runs hotter and is driven more km. It's pad was crumbling and falling apart. I scraped it off completely and since then haven't thought about it much! I was thinking about some thing with an outer aluminum foil cover and clips instead of glue. But I have got used to not having a pad, so replacement is very low down on todo list!

The pad on the SL was still good the last time I looked at it!

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
894 Posts
I recently picked up main, and secondary hood pads from my local MB dealer. I'm waiting for things to warm up enough to install them.

·
Registered
1991 500SL
11 Posts
There was a guy in Vegas that was making the black ones, R129motoring.com was the site I think, but it’s possible he’s no longer in the business.
Just purchased this from R129mororting.com. Received it about two weeks ago. Paid a premium ($255 including delivery to Canada) for it but it looks nice

·
Registered
Smoke Silver '87 560SEC, Black Pearl '87 560SEL
4,583 Posts
3M makes some great spray adhesives but it's the Super Trim Adhesive, part number 08090, that is the high temp adhesive meant for hood pads and headliners. Spray the hood and the pad and put it on. But...this is a very good adhesive. You get one (1) chance to install it right. I had a friend help and we did a quick practice on the install before we sprayed the adhesive.

·
Premium Member
'07 ML350, '05 ML350SE, '04 ML350, '01 ML55, '05 SLK350, '04 SLK200, '76 280SL
2,160 Posts
I replaced my 1976 model pads (both) in 1992 and am about to replace them again now.

At the 1992 mark my car had travelled 65k kilometres and presently has 132k kilometres on the odo. Given the low mileage and the fact the car is garaged 95% of the time and out of direct sunlight it suggests to me that the pads break down mostly because of age and not so much because of heat and/or vibration. Just not a well made product.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Hood Insulation on my 560SL continues to come loose and I continue to tack it back up.
Its deteriorated so much now that the inner foam is separating from the backing.
Right now its OK but someday I likely will have to deal with it.
Thinking about next time it droops just scraping it off and letting it go until I want to deal with it.
Then pull off the hood and do it right.
Have seen one R107 with a black pad and a big white Mercedes star that look kinda cool.

Whats your experience with an un-insulated hood?
Running the car without the hood pad will eventually destroy the paint. Installing a new pad requires Two people and the right glue and procedure.

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
894 Posts
3M makes some great spray adhesives but it's the Super Trim Adhesive, part number 08090, that is the high temp adhesive meant for hood pads and headliners. Spray the hood and the pad and put it on. But...this is a very good adhesive. You get one (1) chance to install it right. I had a friend help and we did a quick practice on the install before we sprayed the adhesive.
I have a can of 3M 08090 all ready to go.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
15 Posts
Thank you for the information. I was not aware of the newsletter. I need a rear hood pad. I noticed they were having a sale on 107. I have 1989. My top needs to be replaced. I think it was original. Mine was brown on my red car. I am thinking I will replace it with the same color. Was brown or black the choice back then or do you know?

·
Registered
1989 560SL
15 Posts
Waiting on the mechanic to get my car back into the garage. The seat repair and the center vents not working. I need new floor pads and top, too. Oh, my, cars, old cars, never-ending.

·
Premium Member
74 450SL "Morgana" 73 280SE "Brutus"
1,152 Posts
My top needs to be replaced. I think it was original. Mine was brown on my red car. I am thinking I will replace it with the same color. Was brown or black the choice back then or do you know?
I believe my top was originally brown as well. It's indicated on your build sheet or the badge found in front of the radiator I believe. I have a copy of mine here somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I believe my top was originally brown as well. It's indicated on your build sheet or the badge found in front of the radiator I believe. I have a copy of mine here somewhere.
Found it, LOL.

Option Code 746 Folding Top Fabric Dark Brown

Actually per a copy of my VMI (Vehicle Master Inquiry)

Wish I could get one of those for my Brutus.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
15 Posts
Thank you, I did not know this. I think I will keep it brown. I will have to find someone to install the top.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Thank you, I did not know this. I think I will keep it brown. I will have to find someone to install the top.
There are great threads on here if you want to attempt installation yourself.

Also, and you probably found them, there are threads here to help you decode the badge with your car. Been a moment since I looked for it.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts