Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Hood Insulation on my 560SL continues to come loose and I continue to tack it back up.
Its deteriorated so much now that the inner foam is separating from the backing.
Right now its OK but someday I likely will have to deal with it.
Thinking about next time it droops just scraping it off and letting it go until I want to deal with it.
Then pull off the hood and do it right.
Have seen one R107 with a black pad and a big white Mercedes star that look kinda cool.

Whats your experience with an un-insulated hood?

Reactions: vwnate1

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,772 Posts
There was a guy in Vegas that was making the black ones, R129motoring.com was the site I think, but it’s possible he’s no longer in the business.

·
Registered
2001 E430 Sport 2000 E430 1990 300CE
346 Posts
It has an important function for heat insulation to protect your paint as well as noise reduction, thus you should keep it. Use 3M Super Trim Adhesive and follow the instructions to a t.
I replaced the sagging insulation on my 1990 300CE with fiber carpet pad. That was over 8 years ago, still holding fine.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,156 Posts
Especially if your car is red or a dark color, I would worry about an uninsulated hood. There will definitely be more noise outside and maybe inside the car.

I very much like r129motoring’s product. I doubt if they get much repeat business on the same car!

True: a guy in the local chapter of the MBCA bought a pad in the fall from MB for his 129. When he went to install it that spring, it crumbled in his hands!

·
Registered
1987 300SL
968 Posts
It looks crappy when you lift your bonnet/hood and there is no pad but lots of remnants of the foam and glue
I replaced mine last year, way easier than I thought and I did it with the bonnet on, had the lovely wife help me line it up putting it on

20200818_154228.jpg 20200818_160231.jpg 20200818_172350.jpg 20200820_165104.jpg

Used some contact adhesive applied with a foam roller on both the bonnet and the pad
That other roller is a carpet seam roller, just made it easier to make sure everything had grabbed
Two tins, same stuff

20200820_221348.jpg

I haven't replaced the bottom bit yet, they always seem to be out of stock
It does make things look much cleaner and smarter when you lift the bonnet

·
Registered
1986 560SL
213 Posts
When I got my 560SL it had no hood pad or hood seal (just the old adhesive). The hood sounded tinny when closing. I bought the hood seal on ebay and the hood pad on Amazon. After a good cleaning I installed both using the 3M Super yellow trim adhesive. That was almost 2 years ago and it has stayed 100% in place. Also closes with a lovely thud!

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1988 560SL, 1977 450SL, 1999 E320 4matic
947 Posts
Yes there was a guy named Fred Johnson in Vegas who made the hood pad out aviation material. He use to sell the hood pad between $80-100 dollars but now someone else took over r129 motoring and there now selling between $200-300, the last time I looked. They had that big Mercedes star in the center of the hood pad and they offered one without. Now I think its just selling with the big star. I have one without the star on my 560SL and my r129, its been 6 yrs and still looks like new. The star IMO, is just to dam big.... Fred even made the hood pad that covered the narrow section of the hood down below and I recall a member here requisition it and between Fred and the member they develop it. I bought one for around $45.00 at the time.

·
Registered
1977 450SL
80 Posts
Mine just crumbled and most of it just about turned to dust when you touched it. Right now I have nothing there. Will have to replace it once I get the car on the road again!

·
Registered
1987 300SL
968 Posts
Oh and something I just thought of Carl, I gave a lot of thought to bonnet/hood off or on. Using contact adhesive, once it grabs it grabs, I felt it would be much easier fitting the lining with the bonnet on. We each held a top corner and placed it where it should be, with the rest hanging down. This keeps the rest of the lining from grabbing the adhesive where I don't want it to be. Then pushed in the middle to grab, then worked to the edges. I felt more confident doing it that way and it worked out really well

·
Registered
1985 380SL
80 Posts
I agree that it just looks so much better with the hood pad. My car just had the bits of crumbly pieces remaining when I bought it. I cleaned the hood and installed both pads last year, and am very happy with it. I’m not sure but I think it deadens engine noise a little. But then I think my car rides better after I wash it, too.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
860 Posts
Although I don't have a 107, same principle. My original-type hood pad (2nd one since ownership) deteriorated terribly, and you wouldn't believe where all the remnants finds it's way into. I ordered a product called premium bonnet insulation from CarBuilders.au. I'm sure something similar exists here in the US, but one of the forum members from there mentioned them for heat shield insulation and they gave me great service and thoroughly answered my questions and concerns, so I was happy to wait and pay for the shipping. I haven't installed it yet but I wanted an alternative to the eventually crumbly original type, even though I usually want as original as possible.

Underneath, I'll first apply a butyl/aluminum stick-on product, to further reduce heat and vibration. I ended up purchasing Hushmat, again because of the outstanding communication and initially saw their helpful videos where the company president demos the material. I figure this combo will approximate the qualities of the original without the future crumbly hassle, and look good as well.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
6,171 Posts
I bought some silver backed rubber made for hood insulation. I took the hood off and put it on my dining table to apply it. It was adhesive backed and needed a roller to apply pressure. Oh, I also spent quite a while scraping of the old glue first.

·
Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
817 Posts
Keep it. Besides acting as a noise insulator, it helps seal the engine bay against water ingress and dirt. It's actually vital on any Merc with a second bulkhead. W201, 124, 202 etc.

·
Outstanding Contributor, Vintage Moderator
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
23,772 Posts
I have been considering any one of these offerings from Summit.

Foil layer Seems wrong to me at first glance, but so does the big star on the r129motoring one. Disappointed to see they only appear to offer that now. Maybe if you call them they’d give you one without. Products – R129 MOTORING

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
470 Posts
I just pulled mine off in preparation for replacement. It was only glued around the edges and one strip down the centre which made it surprisingly easy to remove by hand, finishing up with a light scrape with a shop-vac.

I tried dry-fitting the replacement and I have no faith I can do that without taking the hood off. The pad itself was only CAD$92 but has no manufacturer listed on the tag. Hopefully I won’t be doing this again in 5 years.

I have two cans of 3M 90 spray adhesive but I think now I’ll follow the original spray pattern.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
11,895 Posts
Totally disappointed with the hood pads available from MB these days. My stock 560SL has its original hood pad. Its made of a different material and still in tack, but does need the back seal replaced. Samson had its hood pad replaced 14 years ago with that cheep foam genuine MB replacement and is now totally disintegrated.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts