Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with the hood gaskets, etc. missing. I'm finally getting around to putting them on.(I'm not really a procrastinator, I just keep putting things off.) This may sound like a stupid question, but I can't find how the hood gaskets and whatever other material--except the hood blanket--are mounted.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,561 Posts
You appear to be in Wisconsin, so I assume hood is what I call a hood, or British call bonnet, whatever. I think you are looking for “hood pad” instructions. 3M “yellow” high temp spray on adhesive is what everyone uses.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (always needs something!) new djet engine 1991; 1961 Besasie X-3 (being restored)
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You appear to be in Wisconsin, so I assume hood is what I call a hood, or British call bonnet, whatever. I think you are looking for “hood pad” instructions. 3M “yellow” high temp spray on adhesive is what everyone uses.
Are you still in Ohio? No, I'm not looking for hood pad instructions. Someone might have been scamming me, but I was told there is a seal (gasket) that goes between the hood and and the bodywork and a heat seal the--I think--goes somewhere near the cowl. I just looked it up. There is at least a rear hood seal for all 107s. I need to know how to install it or if it is necessary.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,514 Posts
There are 2 pads, one big one and one small near the windscreen. They just glue on.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,860 Posts
I'm with Aussie on this one, it's just the pads - my 1979 doesn't have any seals or gaskets.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are 2 pads, one big one and one small near the windscreen. They just glue on.
Do you have any pics, Aussie? I'm sure the big pad is the hood pad. What does the smaller pad look like and where does it, mount?

·
Registered
1986 560SL
60 Posts
I got the hood pad off Amazon and the hood seal off ebay - this is the title:
“For Mercedes Benz W 107 350SL 450SL 560SL 1972-1989 Hood Seal OEM“
Like Fonzi said - 3M high temp yellow adhesive to stick em on. Have a friend help - two person job.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like Fonzi said - 3M high temp yellow adhesive to stick em on. Have a friend help - two person job.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
77 Posts
I've been procrastinating long enough too and will have a crack at my bonnet/hood/bigmetalthing lining this weekend
The glue has me puzzled a bit though, particularly after reading bits on this forum
3M doesn't really list "3M high temp yellow adhesive", but does refer to that in a search as "Rubber and Vinyl 80 Spray Adhesive"
I was lead to believe their 3M 90 'Industrial Strength' was the way to go due to it's higher heat capacity
Then I saw 3M 90 being sold in Officeworks, with no 'Industrial Strength' on the can
I don't want to buy 4 cans of spray and have them sitting around cos they are the wrong ones
I already have some SikaBond SprayFix I bought on an impulse, but now don't know if it's suitable
Any more info on the 3M products?

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
I used a pad that was self adhesive and worked out well. I think I got it at Clark Rubber but not sure. Ask a panel beater- They replace them all the time. The original Benz pads are crap and don't last at all.
You need to make yourself a drawing on the pad to get the fit right before peeling off. If you already have your pads just use one of the good Sika Bond products but start at the windscreen and do a bit at a time and use a small roller to roll out air bubbles. It helps to clean off as much old glue as possible.

Edit: Just remembered I got it at Century rubber.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
60 Posts
This is what I used (bought on Amazon) - 1 can was plenty to do both pads and have leftover adhesive.

3M 08090 Super Yellow Trim Adhesive, 19oz

·
Registered
1986 560SL
11 Posts
This is what I used (bought on Amazon) - 1 can was plenty to do both pads and have leftover adhesive.

3M 08090 Super Yellow Trim Adhesive, 19oz
Aussie Benz mentioned “rolling out the air bubbles” in the glue. That implies he is not spraying it on, and I agree with that. I sprayed mine. I went to great pains to protect the car from overspray. But it got all over my garage floor, which was covered with expensive polypropylene tiles! It took me longer to clean up the glue on the floor than it did to do the hood pad. And, in the end, it didn’t hold up. I had to re-glue it with painted-on contact cement. After 6 years it’s still up there!

·
Registered
1986 560SL
60 Posts
Yes - lots of cardboard under the pad when spraying. Allow to dry per instructions and stick to hood. Also make sure the hood is clean and free of any oils or dirt etc. Once stuck to hood apply even pressure all over to ensure it sticks 100% - if memory serves I used a small sturdy paint roller for this.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Yes - lots of cardboard under the pad when spraying. Allow to dry per instructions and stick to hood. Also make sure the hood is clean and free of any oils or dirt etc. Once stuck to hood apply even pressure all over to ensure it sticks 100% - if memory serves I used a small sturdy paint roller for this.
I used a small pastry roller.

·
Registered
1986 560sl Black Pearl
104 Posts
I simply removed the hood and placed it upside down on the lawn.
Much, much easier then having to cover most of the car from overspray,
as well as the floor.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
60 Posts
I simply removed the hood and placed it upside down on the lawn.
Much, much easier then having to cover most of the car from overspray,
as well as the floor.
No question that would make the job much easier.
As an aside - when I got my 560SL it had no hood pad and closing the hood made a somewhat tinny sound - after installing the pad it’s a nice solid Thud!

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
74 Posts
No question that would make the job much easier.
As an aside - when I got my 560SL it had no hood pad and closing the hood made a somewhat tinny sound - after installing the pad it’s a nice solid Thud!
My hood pads are fine but when I close the trunk I get the tinny sound - is there supposed to be a pad(s) for the trunk? I don't see any type of glue residue so I'm thinking not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts