Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E500
194 Posts
i decided to keep the hood ornament. the way i see it has a lot behind it. it makes a statement,and the history the company has. i agree it looks great on the sedans, but as far as coupe's go unless its less modern than the CLS in design they are better with flat badges and sport grilles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Tip and Point.

I love the star. One its looks good. Two its a gunsight - when a tool drives at you with headlights on full and wont dip, I know i can line up the middle of the star on the outside edge of the road and my tyres are 18'' (foot and a half) from the edge of the road. If I line up the drivers edge of the star on the edge of the road, im 12'' from the edge. I have used this a few times on windy roads when people drive at you with spotties on and your virtually blinded looking forward.

Very good point and tip. You just changed my mind about removing my standing star and replacing with a chrome plug or flat emblem. My w124 has the large star in the grill already and I thought it was too much to have both, not anymore.
Thanks!

PS: I realize how old this thread is, but still applies today.

·
Registered
1995 C36 AMG, 1990 190E 2.6
49 Posts
The large grille badge adds a lot to the look of the vehicle - it's one of the reasons I like the look of the old SEC, and I'm glad the former owner of my 2.6 went to the expense of doing the SEC bonnet conversion. Not to mention that the grille star seems to be less of a target for vandals.

That said, when I am driving my 2.6 I miss the view of the star when driving. Hard decision!

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz S500
178 Posts
STAR ON THE HOOD IS THE BEST

I think the Star on the hood is the best on sedans i love it on the W220 S Class. The one in the grill is nice on the new C cause it gives it a very aggresive look but on some other SUVs they look horrible. They are very big. Also the Star on the hood is known world wide its a trademark for Benz. If you go anywhere people will recognize that you are in a Mercedes Benz.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had my star forcibly removed from the hood of my '06 E320 CDI. The moron who ripped it off managed to put three large scratches on around the mount in the process. So I will investigate the removable star or just put a flat round logo in place of the star ornament. I will definitely miss the star on the hood though.

·
Registered
2003 C240 4 Matic Elegance Edition Mercedes Benz
21 Posts

That's mine, I've toyed with the flat emblem as well since I don't want anyone ripping my hood emblem off, that'd probably get me to take my tire iron out and put another one on the hood and sit and wait for the next one to do it and bash them over the head.

Would it look nice on that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually now that I look at it in that picture, maybe I should just find a way to make it harder to rip off, is there a way to make it harder? Like find a better cable to just bolt the mother down?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a fire arms license, I can always pet detective it and hang out the window pegging them off like it's real life duck hunt.

So I am flexible with losing the aiming device aka Benz logo.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I just had my star forcibly removed from the hood of my '06 E320 CDI. The moron who ripped it off managed to put three large scratches on around the mount in the process. So I will investigate the removable star or just put a flat round logo in place of the star ornament. I will definitely miss the star on the hood though.
Yeah, that's exactly what led me to go flat (well, they didn't steal it, apparently someone disturbed them but they tried as it was all askew and they damaged the hood paint), so I ordered the one from the SLK and figured out how to mount it without the ebay kit. It looked okay, but I didn't like how it sat up on the hood.

So after the SLK badge started fading, I made my own which is in the picture below. To the left of it in the first picture you can see the gouge in the paint left by the would-be star thieves. Since it uses part of the original hood ornament, it fits perfectly in the dimple and doesn't sit up.

I do miss the star, but not enough to have the hood further damaged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No one has tried to steal my emblem yet, not in a big city like Vancouver for over a year and not even in a smaller town for about a year. Maybe they won't but should I take the chance of having it look nice with the normal emblem or save myself the hassle and just get the flat badge?

I live in Vancouver so I'd probably have to order one of those in or something right?

·
Registered
2012 C180 Classic
2 Posts
Hi All - I had a choice of a 2012 C180 Classic and C180 Avant Garde but chose the Classic because I prefer the star on the hood ( the Avant Garde was on the grille )
Now it seems that ALL new MB's are coming out with stars on the grille - result is my car is starting to look old and outdated!!
Question - does MB still bring out new models with the star on the hood, or am I now destined to drive an " old " Merc???

·
Registered
2012 C180 Classic
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome DrX, and also the info on the new S series. At least my C180 Classic will not look old! If anything some may mistake it for the S Class not knowing any better! And yes, I love seeing the star. The one on the grille has actually put me off MB a bit, but like most things I suppose it will grow on me.

Regards and best wishes

Terry

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Some conversions just do not look right, and even worse when sporting both, the old rule was that saloons had the bonnet star, and coupes had the grill star.

·
Registered
Monika '74 450SL and her lil sis BrownHilda '79 280SL
2,006 Posts
For me it depends on what you are going for. In my S-classes it was plutocratic luxury and taste. Only the hood star would do.
In the SL it is sporty carefree driving. Only the grill star will do. Also I cannot imagine a 107 with a hood star, it would look strange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i decided to keep the hood ornament. the way i see it has a lot behind it. it makes a statement,and the history the company has. i agree it looks great on the sedans, but as far as coupe's go unless its less modern than the CLS in design they are better with flat badges and sport grilles.
ive turned down what may have been a few excellent cedes, simply not having star.It's attractive, classy, shiny , a peep site and just feels good. Then again I, am certified" Saw a 350 , e350 I thought and seeing what was good sized sedan

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
85 Posts
I despise the factory grille on my 2016 e400 coupe and would pay a sizable amount to replace it with a traditional, horizontally-slatted grille and upright hood star. Unfortunately, it seems no such parts are available to fit my car.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
The Star on the hood of my 212 reminds me of so many cars which had hood ornaments during the 40's, 50's, etc., and I still think it gives the car a sense of elegance and history. The wife used to have a Star on the hood of her C Class as well. I believe they're all but absent now.
Interestingly, however, my 107 has the Star in the grill where I believe they have been on all SL's, and it would seem peculiar to imagine it anywhere else.

·
Registered
2017 S550 4Matic
7 Posts
I love the star. One it looks good. Two its a gunsight - when a tool drives at you with headlights on full and won't dip, I know I can line up the middle of the star on the outside edge of the road and my tyres are 18'' (foot and a half) from the edge of the road. If I line up the driver's edge of the star on the edge of the road, I'm 12'' from the edge. I have used this a few times on windy roads when people drive at you with spotties on and you're virtually blinded looking forward.
I love the tip about using the hood star as a guide to the road's edge! I too just plain love it and consider it the greatest example of brand identification in the auto industry. Back in the fifties, the only Benzes not to have the hood star were the 180SL and 300SL gullwing model. Now AFAIK Mercedes has dropped it on all cars except the S-class. In a documentary, I saw it was originally used in the newest E-class during prototyping, so it does not restrict styling.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts