Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
05 black-on-black C230 Kompressor Sports Saloon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but:

So, I have noticed that a lot of people with Mercedes Sedans on these forums (E-class, C-class, S-class) like to remove the hood emblem and replace it with a flat grill star (like the Benz coupes).

Personally, I don't really understand this, because I absolutely LOVE the hood emblem. I enjoy looking at it in the front of my Benz while driving.

My next Mercedes will be a w219 CLS or w212 E-class in a few years, and if I end up getting a CLS, I might actually try and find a mod to place the hood emblem on it (might look bad on a CLS though).

Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
A lot of people are putting flat badges for a cleaner look. I personally love the classy look of the hood ornament. Nothing beats going down the highway on a warm, sunny afternoon in the luxury and comfort of your Mercedes-Benz and staring down the road and seeing the hood ornament to remind you what "it" is all about.

I think the hood ornament on a CLS would look terrible. It was designed for a different look with a different grille styles from the other sedans. The W212 should still have the hood ornament though.

·
Registered
03 S500/99 SL600/94 S320-sold/86 560sl-sold/87 560sl-sold/87 560sec-sold/88 300E-sold/88 420SEL-sold
111 Posts
We had a 560 SEC and I really missed that star on the hood.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Hood star over the badge. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
Good question... in 2001 I was working at a restaurant and went out to my car late at night and noticed someone tried to steal it..it was just hanging like a busted limb. I replaced it with another hood emblem. But at the time didn't even think of replacing it with a flat star but wished I did. I was lucky and haven't had a problem since but I think some people worry about people trying to rip them off or have had the experience.

For the cost to replace it with a hood emblem I would replace it again with one if this one were stolen. Just hope it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
7,888 Posts
I prefer the large in the grill badge. The newer aggressive front lines work well with the more visible larger badge.
The hood star works perfectly well with the more conservative classic shapes of the past.

The shame of having the beautiful hood star, is that too often our young delinquents rip it off and you're stuck with the bill.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
I bought the new grill and flat emblem for my e320, it lasted about a month. I went back to the star and hung the other on the garage wall.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Sorry to be of a contrary opinion guys but I much prefer the flat grill or hood badge - I have always found the pointed star a bit of a distraction whilst driving because my eyes keep getting drawn to it.

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
I currently have the hood star but my next mod is going to be to replace the grill with the sport grill and flat emblem. Although I love the hood star I think the huge star in the grill will look sportier and give my car that whoa presence when pulling up. :D

·
Registered
'07 CLK350
1,144 Posts
I always thought that sedans looked better with the hood star and the coupes/roadsters looked better with the flat one.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I always thought that sedans looked better with the hood star and the coupes/roadsters looked better with the flat one.
I tended to agree in the past, but now I like the sport sedans and SUVs with grill mounted flat one. Standup hood ornament is starting to feel old school.

·
Registered
C250TDI \E200
6 Posts
Had my badge stolen last week i will replace it with the gun sight from ebay half the price of the stealer's and just as good .
The flat badge removes the feel good factor for me and i cant wait to get it back no matter what the price
Cheers to all in the forum.....

·
Registered
05 black-on-black C230 Kompressor Sports Saloon
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....Standup hood ornament is starting to feel old school.
...And that is exactly why I like it! Seriously, I love the classy look the star gives. The S, C, and E class sports sedans with the AMG package are a perfect example of sporting looking Mercedes vehicles with that touch of a classic/old school mix that I love.

My next Mercedes in a few years will be either a w212 next-gen E-class (2010 or 2011) or a w219 CLS (2010 or so). I love the CLS, but I'm leaning towards a sport w212 E-class because I love that mixture of classic+sports Mercedes, and the hood star aids that feeling.

I love driving down the road and seeing the hoodstar...

·
Registered
2000 E320, 2005 ML350 Special Edition
10 Posts
My daily driver is a W210. The star is the only way to go for sedans! They just look so good.

·
Registered
1997 mercedes c280
16 Posts
I really like the large grill badge on the newer mbs but i gotta tell ya... when im driving my car and thinking about day to day shit and stress and whatever it is thats going on that day. Sometimes i glance down for a sec and see that hood mb star and think...damn i gotta nice car! seems a little funny but its true haha:p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love the star. One its looks good. Two its a gunsight - when a tool drives at you with headlights on full and wont dip, I know i can line up the middle of the star on the outside edge of the road and my tyres are 18'' (foot and a half) from the edge of the road. If I line up the drivers edge of the star on the edge of the road, im 12'' from the edge. I have used this a few times on windy roads when people drive at you with spotties on and your virtually blinded looking forward.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts