Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from N. CA! I purchased a 190E 2.6 at a charity auction last year. I love this little car! I've been lurking here on BenzWorld for some time, all the while, saving up my questions.

I had a list of questions ranging from important, need to take care of now, to things that would be nice to take care of, but, could wait. Then, over the weekend, something happened that has finally prodded me into asking for some immediate help!

My husband and a young neighbor friend were replacing the water pump. A good part of the job was done when my husband had to leave unexpectedly. He asked our young friend to just leave things as they were until he returned. Being of good heart, this young man decided "Hey! I'll surprise them and just finish the job myself!":thumbsup:

What was the mistake? Oh......nothing too important....He closed the hood before remembering that the hood release cable was still disconnected!:eek:

Husband returns tonight......I considered training my cats to use tools as they might just be the right size to crawl under there and reconnect said cable. No- I don't know why they disconnected it in the first place. I printed out the requisite pages from the shop manual (an amazing link-thank you!) for the job. Don't remember seeing anything about disconnecting the hood release cable :/ If I had to guess (which is exactly what I'm doing), I say that they took stuff in front of the main fan apart in order to make access to that area easier?

Anyway, dear Benz folks......I thought "Now is the time to get on that forum - if anybody has ever encountered this situation, and knows what the hay bales to do about it, it will be somebody on BenzWorld! Right?

I await with great anticipation a flood of replies that contain an easy fix! :rolleyes: I'd love to have some ideas before my husband returns- as would our young friend! (My husband has been trying to reign in his "cowboy" mechanic tendencies since the lad was 16- he's now in his mid 30's)

~g~

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
If you have a disconnected hood cable the best way to gain access is to break open the plastic grille insert. Once you get an opening you'll have better access to the mechanism. get a flat head and use that to pop the mechanism.
If you don't want to break the grille, you could unbolt the front bumper. There are 2 bolts and 4 other nuts holding it on. Then you'd have to reach up in the space between the grille and radiator and fish around.
Where in Northern California are you? There are plenty of junkyards around here where you can find a replacement grille insert for cheap.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm...I'm thinkin that option #2 (bumper removal) won't work because of the twin ac/aux fans & ac condenser being in the way?

I'm not crazy about option #1, but, it sounds better than what our young friend had in mind. He said he could "bust open the plastic part of the grill", then get one of his special power saws and cut off the latch. I sent him home.

We are located about 80 miles NE of Sacramento in the foothills.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
use a long flat head. did it many times with my old project 190e without breakig the plastic grill. removing the bumper would easily give you access...definitely don't let the neighbor use a power tool it's completely unnecessary. even if u have to break the grille it saves you a lot of time and costs like $10, if the water pumps fixed though you shouldn't need topop the hood for awhile hopefully...

·
Registered
E350, C32 , 190e 2.6 Manual
15 Posts
Same thing happen to me..... Was finshed with the waterpump and everything, just need to connect the cable and add coolant, so i went inside to take a break....When i came back some how the hood closed........... Had to break the grill... which i didn't really care as it was the original one and i was going to buy a new one anyway

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay....So this is what happened: They removed the front center reinforcement to make for easier access to the fan area.

Our young friend did not pay attention to the position of said reinforcement even though my husband had marked it prior to removing it. Thus, even though he reconnected it, the latch adjustment was altered.

Whoo boy.....husband is not too happy with his young protegee. Seems he also skipped bleeding the air out of the system (thus, engine overheats), and he somehow totally forgot about replacing the engine compartment covering prior to driving it back to our place over a nice, sloppy, muddy road.:crybaby2:

Husband has read the suggestions offered here and is confident that he will be able to pop that latch with a screwdriver.

Thanks for the help.....I'll report back on the outcome of today's adventure :)

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,250 Posts
We are located about 80 miles NE of Sacramento in the foothills.
If you end up breaking the grille insert, you can get one from Silver Star Recycling in Rancho Cordova; they are fairly close to you and have many used parts for the 190s.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
interesting...the wife reads the info from the forums and directs the husband how to do it...

damn i wish i could get my wife to read some of these forum posts...

welcome to the benz family

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
remove the insert and pop the latch is the easiest way, having the neighbors kid come over with power tools is all fun and all but real excessive. make sure u take it nice and slow. when it happened to me on the old 85 i removed the bumper and was able to reach up and pop the latch with a screwdriver without the grille being removed. i scratched up the rad support area but it worked.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
thread has been pinned in the faq section.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
use a long flat head. did it many times with my old project 190e without breakig the plastic grill.
Got myself a bright flashlight and a long flat head and popped that latch myself! :D Didn't break the grill *pats self on the back

That's the good news.....
interesting...the wife reads the info from the forums and directs the husband how to do it...

damn i wish i could get my wife to read some of these forum posts...

welcome to the benz family
LOL! (not spelling that out:p) Thank you Turnpike! :)I've always loved knowing how things work. Used to help my dad work on his collection of late 60's Rover sedans.

My husband hardly touches the computer and hates to type.

I've learned a lot from this forum and have a long list of projects ahead for my little 190.....My husband will do most of the greasy, under the hood work. I'm working on the interior and a few other things.

If you end up breaking the grille insert, you can get one from Silver Star Recycling in Rancho Cordova; they are fairly close to you and have many used parts for the 190s.
The final explanation for the cable failing to release the latch: Our young friend failed to route the cable properly thus, when one pulled on the hood release handle, there was simply too much slack in the cable to move the latch at all!

I said that I was able to pop the latch without breaking the plastic grill insert, and that was the good news. The bad news? During the test drive, a wild turkey came out of nowhere and splatted somewhere on the lower part of the car. We look at each other, pull over, and, yup- you guessed it! A broken plastic insert with turkey feathers sticking out of it! :surrender: If it hadn't been pouring rain, I would have snapped a picture.

Many lessons learned during this experience. Some more obvious than others......Perhaps the moral of this story is: Continue to allow a turkey to work on your Benz and you will surely attract another?

Many thanks again to all of you.....:bowdown:I love this site and will be a frequent visitor!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
Glad you got the hood back open with no problems. :thumbsup:
Since you'll have to get another grille, you might want to paint the new insert black w/ Krylon fusion paint. That way it'll match the black bumper.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
That was one hell of an interesting read. I'm glad it worked out in the end. Thanks for the entertainment.

I'd think it was cool if my wife got on these forums but I'm also glad that she doesn't.

Scott

·
Registered
1984 190 E
72 Posts
My cabel busted this weekend, right before I was going to replace the water pump. Thank You for the tips. I will be trying the screwdriver trick FIRST. I tried to look underneath. My hand can reach up but nothing is there. Does anyone have a photo of the latch? The shop manuals that work so fine for other things does not have anything to go by.
By the way pixel dust, Good for you to be able to go in here and get all the vital info needed to keep you Baby on the road. I had no idea about MBs until I started here. Now I have learned enough to keep my Baby from ever going to the junk yard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts