Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1985 M-B 190E 2.3l.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! How do I get my hood open to install a snapped/disconnected hood cable on my 85 190E? I can't see inside the grille readily to make out any obvious way to release the latch. Thanks

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The cable runs under the radiator support from the driver's side (North America) to the area under the hood emblem. The cable comes to about 4 inches of the center of the hood when it passes through a metal plate and then attaches to the hood latch mechanism where it activates the first latch and pops the hood tab.

Get a good flashlight and try to visualize where the radiator support is and you should be able to locate the latch. With a wire hook, you might be able to yank on the cable enough to pop the hood release tab out.

If you can't get that far, then the alternative is to break the plastic grill on the driver's side and sacrifice one of the chrome strips. Luckily, they are both really cheap replacement parts.

·
Registered
1985 M-B 190E 2.3l.
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was able to release the catch after popping a black plug in the rad. support and used a stiff rod which after an hour and a half was able to finally pop the hood and replaced the cable. Gotta be a better way to engineer a safety than that. oh, well. thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1991 W124.128
136 Posts
Hi,
on my 190's the hood cable snapped at the catch. It also is a pain to install a new cable as the fuse box has to be removed. Installed an extra short piece of aircraft cable at the catch and now can open the hood with a pair of long nose pliers should the cable break again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts